Update to Vapor 4

Hi thanks a lot for this book I love it. I didn’t imagined that I will be able to build my own RESTful API after 5 years of iOS development in Swift i fall in love with Vapor. I was surprised that Authentication part is still in Vapor 3 but i know you are doing your best and I can’t wait until I have fully functional SwiftUI app with Vapor backend and SIWA :joy: Thanks a lot and I hope the rest of the book will come soon :pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

I just finished chapter 13 of the book and I really enjoyed every page and learned a lot! Thank you very much for our efforts in updating to Vapor 4.

I was coding along all the way so I had to stop at Chapter 14 Templating With Leaf. I’ll wait for it to be updated (no pressure).

I wanted to ask how to be notified when the book is updated?

3 Likes

I suspect there’ll be a post on the site and Twitter but I’ll also post in here

Congratulations on joining the core team, @0xtim!

@0xtim when will get the final Vapor 4 version of the book?

2 Likes

@blueground I can’t give exact timescales at the moment, however Leaf is about to be (finally) tagged so I’ve started updating the remaining chapters

4 Likes

Leaf is finally released and tagged! :tada:

Now I’ve got that out the way I can work properly on the rest of the book

4 Likes

So can the subsequent chapters be updated? I have waited for a long time. I can finally see the subsequent content

Yes I’ve already handed over a few chapters to the editors

7 Likes

Any ideas on release date? Will the AWS section be updated to use soto ? I am currently using Heroku for my Vapor app but I am very keen to learn how to use AWS instead for it.

Keep up the amazing work Tim!!!

Making good progress! Hopefully have a better update to share in the next couple of weeks.

As for the AWS chapter - it won’t include Soto because there’s no interactions with AWS services. However there’s definitely scope for using Soto in a book chapter or tutorial post!

3 Likes

When will it be completely updated? I have been waiting for a long time

5 Likes

Sorry to be a pain but are we any closer to having the book updated to Vapor 4? Feel like this year will hopefully be the breakout year for Swift on the Server. This book plus async / await will make a big difference I reckon. Need this book first though :grinning:.

4 Likes

Coming to the end of the updated content (chapter 12), any updates on chapter 14 onwards? Thanks!

4 Likes

I’ve been stuck for a few days on trying to get the sample code for a join in chapter 30 to work with Vapor 4. Is there an ETA for the update? I can’t find any help on the web so I’m getting pretty frustrated with this.

Hi @rogerangus which part are you stuck on? Have a look at vpr-materials/UsersController.swift at editions/3.0 · raywenderlich/vpr-materials · GitHub - that contains the project materials for the book

And to everyone else waiting, I really appreciate your patience! As you can imagine, it’s been an interesting year with everything going on! All the chapters are now in the editing pipeline and we’re targeting a full release this month so hopefully won’t be much longer.

11 Likes

My roommate wants to read the complete tutorial before he died. I hope to update it soon to meet his last wish

4 Likes

Any chance of an Early Access 2 release?

1 Like

From what I heard this has been with the editing team for months now as all the chapters are finished back in December.

Wish we would get an update on the final release…

7 Likes

I’m also waiting for the Leaf Updates as it seems Leaf has been completely rewritten.