Update to Vapor 4

Hi, if I purchase the current version of the book (Vapor 3) will I be entitled to the Vapor 4 update when it is published, or will I have to pay more for it? Thank you.

@photonclock all digital purchasers will get a free update for Vapor 4!

3 Likes

Great, Iā€™m free this weekend ! :man_shrugging:

Hi, I bought your book with the understanding that it will be updated to include Vapor 4. Please let me know how to get these materials when they become available? Many thanks in advance.

Any update on the EA release date? I am eagerly waiting for this and I am kinda blocked with my current work.

@doughendersons @athmakuri thereā€™s one final chapter with the editors before the EA is released so shouldnā€™t be long at all. Iā€™m hoping Leaf is released pretty soon as well so we can get through the rest of the book quickly! :]

4 Likes

Counting the days :smile:

1 Like

Just started learning vapor to implement a web version of my ā€œCisco ACL Analyzerā€ MacOS App. Working through the vapor-3 book now (on a vapor-4 system). Eager for EA on the new book version. Will be happy to provide feedback as I work through the bookā€¦if you get it to me in time. :wink:

It makes weeks since the release is ā€œimminentā€, why donā€™t you release an early version without the final chapter ? I think many of us would like to start studying it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally agree with you.

1 Like

Hi, is there any update to the alpha release ?

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for your patience. I know itā€™s been a long time coming and weā€™ve had plenty of issues on our side (including one of the editors getting quarantined with Coronavirus) but the Early Access update has just been pushed to the store here.

Iā€™m already making good progress on the rest of the book despite the lack of Leaf so hopefully the next update shouldnā€™t be far behind

Tim

6 Likes

Thanks for the release ! Could you elaborate on the Leaf issue ? Thanks !

2 Likes

Hi,
Is the a high level change log for the new version of the book? It would be helpful for those who have read the previous edition.
Thanks!

Thanks a a lot for hard effort you have put and and the to make this happened.

1 Like

@nidupb for the Leaf issue - it hasnā€™t been released yet and I know there are some breaking changes about to hit. Iā€™ve been told it should be in the next couple of weeks so hopefully not long.

@cegrnd the high level changes are essentially:

• HTTP Basics Chapter unchanged
  • Everything else completely rewritten for Vapor 4. Basically everythingā€™s been updated, whilst the theory is mostly the same, the projects will be completely different and so will the chapters. Though they teach the same concepts and the projects do the exact same thing. A good place to look for differences will be the upgrade notes on the Vapor Docs.

@fisalcs thanks a lot!

2 Likes

I have noticed that there are two ā€œTable of Contentsā€ in the pdf version. Is there a reason for this?
Also, where do I report any errors? For example, in the pdf version there are links on pg 64 and 65 that do not work.
Lastly, the color formatting of the pub version is pretty ā€œblandā€ compared to the pdf version. Is there any way you could change that or is that just a pub formatting restriction?

@bmontegani thanks for passing this on, Iā€™ll forward it to the editing team and let them know!

Hiā€¦ I have found another minor change that needs to be made. Is there a proper email/channel to send these changes?

When installing the vapor toolbox on MacOS using ā€˜brewā€™ you need to type the following command:

brew install vapor

brew install vapor/tap/vapor is no longer required

Hi,

Thereā€™s no dedicated email/channel for issues found in the books, but you can just reach out to me directly and Iā€™ll make sure they get fixed.

Thanks!

Tim