XML or UI/Code?

Just wondering if the book mainly goes through building the UI with Android Studio (and code) with an intro to doing it the ‘xml way’ or how much xml vs UI w/ Android Studio?

Hi,

Thank you for your question. Actually, the book spends a good amount of time (up to Chapter 11) showing users the “Visual Designer”. Then, when it begins introducing Fragments, the book switches to XML because it is easier to convey more complex layouts “quickly” by providing the XML.

In any case, there’s a good mix of both styles in the book, with “visual” more towards the beginning.

We hope you give it a shot! As someone that went through the whole book already, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks,

Eric

thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to get more of the visual designer rather than xml just b/c thats how I roll. Sounds like though you could easily sub the VD for xml if you’ve spent the first 11 chapters with it. thoughts?

Hi,

Yes, by the time you go into CH 11, I feel you’ll understand the visual designer enough to use it. Actually, it might be cool to do that (assuming you have the time) because as the chapters discuss functionality (and as you see the XML) you can most certainly “translate that” into whatever the UI requires. And, since the book still gives you the XML, you can always check your work and/or make further tweaks.

Do give it a shot and let us know how it goes for you!

Thanks,

Eric.