Kodeco Forums

Video Tutorial: Table Views in iOS Part 11: Conclusion

Review what you've learned from our Table Views in iOS video tutorial series and get some ideas of where to go next.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/3300-table-views-in-ios/lessons/12

Can you provide the Challenge-finished project ? :confounded:

At the end of the video he says to check out the challenge document but I can’t find any challenge document. Is there a link to one that I missed?

I think it’s some kind of a bug :slight_smile: There is no challenge document in materials for this lecture.

Since this video has been made, Apple has changed the way you can access the user’s music. To get you started, you can check out this blog post:

This will show you how to access the music library so you can put it in a table.

Brian, great tutorials! is there a way to access the music lib without connecting the phone to test? this is the part that is diving me nuts.

ack … I didn’t realize that the music library requires a device. We’ll be revisiting this series and changing the final challenge.

Brian,

I was able to get this playlist working. A bit long to scroll through for the music in my library, but it got me to thinking about the options for seeking through then storing information for an app. Meaning, lets say I want only the information in a particular playlist or Genre , and i need 3 values: artist, title and album. It does not seem very efficient to read into it every time, or store these values in 3 separate arrays. it almost seems that the tableview could be looked at as a record. Is there a guide or lesson that discusses the ways to store and access data/records in small scope lets say less than 1000 entries? Or am I over thinking it.

As they say, the root of all evil is premature optimization. The key is to solve a problem, then measure the results to see how each performs. In this case, you may want to create a struct that contains that metadata instead of individual arrays. That keeps your data organized.

Next, you should think how you plan the present that data. You could use an array, but there’s also a linked list available. If you intend to do any searching, you may want to use another data structure. Check out our Swift Algorithm club to get an idea of possible ideas.

I hope that helps!

This course needs a update to swift 4, swift 2 old now…