Kodeco Forums

Unity Cheat Sheet and Quick Reference 2018

When working on Unity projects, I often find myself asking the same questions over and over. When should I use FixedUpdate() over Update()? What’s the process of kicking off a coroutine again? Why are my 2D collisions not working? What are some of the static Vector3 variables available to me? These simple questions can be […]

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/227-unity-cheat-sheet-and-quick-reference-2018

Thanks for this Jay! I know you put alot of work into it and it is a great way to avoid searching pages and pages to get to some of the unity functions and explanations. I was wondering, are you open to considering perhaps writing one for unreal blueprints? Anyway besides that, thanks for this I know I will constantly be using this!

Thanks for the kind words malospam! Glad the cheat sheet is of help. Right now my focus is only on Unity tutorials.

Great work on the cheat sheet. A fun thing you can do if you are struggling to remember the mono functions off the top of your head is put them all on to your script template and then remove the ones you don’t need.

How to edit your Unity Script templates

And add all the functions right in there:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;

public class #SCRIPTNAME# : MonoBehaviour {

private void Awake() { /* Called when the script is being loaded */ }
	private void OnEnable() { /* Called every time the object is enabled */ }
	private void Start() { /* Called on the frame when the script is enabled */ }
	private void Update() { /* Called once per frame */ }
	private void LateUpdate() { /* Called every frame after Update */ }
	private void OnBecameVisible() { /* Called when the renderer is visible by any Camera */ }
	private void OnBecameInvisible() { /* Called when the renderer is no longer visible by any Camera */ }
	private void OnDrawGizmos() { /* Allows you to draw Gizmos in the Scene View */ }
	private void OnGUI() { /* Called multiple times per frame in response to GUI events */ }
	private void OnApplicationPause() { /* Called at the end of a frame when a pause is detected */ }
	private void OnDisable() { /* Called every time the object is disabled */ }
	private void OnDestroy() { /* Only called on previously active GameObjects that have been destroyed */ }

}

Just a little productivity idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Neat idea! I’ll have to keep that in mind.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!