Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group

UICollectionView Custom Layout Tutorial: Pinterest | raywenderlich.com

Build a UICollectionView custom layout inspired by the Pinterest app, and learn how to cache attributes and dynamically size cells.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/4829472-uicollectionview-custom-layout-tutorial-pinterest

In the https://www.raywenderlich.com/3987-custom-collection-view-layout course, the instructor computed the image height for the bounding box preserving the aspect ratio as follows:

func collectionView(_ collectionView: UICollectionView, heightForImageAtIndexPath indexPath: IndexPath, withWidth width: CGFloat) -> CGFloat {

let character = charactersData[indexPath.item]
    let image = UIImage(named: character.name)
    let boundingRect = CGRect(x: 0, y: 0, width: width, height: CGFloat(MAXFLOAT))
    let rect = AVMakeRect(aspectRatio: image!.size, insideRect: boundingRect)

return rect.height
  }

The text height also was computed as:

func collectionView(_ collectionView: UICollectionView, heightForDescriptionAtIndexPath indexPath: IndexPath, withWidth width: CGFloat) -> CGFloat {
    let character = charactersData[indexPath.item]
    let descriptionHeight = heightForText(character.description, width: width-24)
    let height = 4 + 17 + 4 + descriptionHeight + 12
    return height
  }

func heightForText(_ text: String, width: CGFloat) -> CGFloat {
    let font = UIFont.systemFont(ofSize: 10)
    let rect = NSString(string: text).boundingRect(with: CGSize(width: width, height: CGFloat(MAXFLOAT)), options: .usesLineFragmentOrigin, attributes: convertToOptionalNSAttributedStringKeyDictionary([convertFromNSAttributedStringKey(NSAttributedString.Key.font): font]), context: nil)
    return ceil(rect.height)
  }
}

The PinterestLayout doesn’t utilize any of this. It also doesn’t seem to add the text height to the height of the cell height. However, it doesn’t seem to make a difference for this for some reason.

What makes the PinterestLayout still work without these proper computations? I removed the padding heights in the cell height computation for PinterestLayout and it still worked without anything overlapping or being clipped.

It confused me, too. Do you know why?

@haawa Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

How to handle pagination with this layout. I am not able to reloaddata.

Hi Team. Thanks for the tutorial. I am able to display static images with the custom flow layout.

What if images are coming from server?

func collectionView(_ collectionView: UICollectionView, heightForPhotoAtIndexPath indexPath: IndexPath) -> CGFloat is not getting called when we reloadthecollection. Can you please look into this and do needful.

Thanks,
Ram