Practical Instruments - Part 4: Optimizing Launch | Ray Wenderlich

This time, you'll zoom in on profiling and improving the launch time of your app.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/4065-practical-instruments/lessons/4

So to make launch smoothly, I should make static library that linking cocoapods frameworks?

@salimkhan Well, replacing dynamically linked frameworks with the equivalent statically linked library, when possible, will speed up your launch times. This is just one strategy though!

“When possible” also refers to the legal implications of statically linking certain libraries, i.e. those covered by some GPL license versions. Don’t forget that if you use any of these GPL libraries and link them statically, you are mandated to publish your source code which is not always something you are willing to.

M.

1 Like

Using static libs: doesn’it mean you have to recompile your app whenever one of these libs has been updated?

@jean-pierre I’m not sure what you’re asking here. You technically don’t ever have to update a static lib if you don’t want to :smile:

I am facing same problem : Adding life cycle to Time Profile instrument. Any ideas about it?

as i understand, this CPU analysis is qualitative more than quantitative,

as after solving the Image decompression on the background thread, we can see the time profiler reports that the main bottleneck of the app is another thing, but how can we see that the app is using X% less CPU?, also, is there a way to measure the actual frames your app is running in?

the main thing i don’t get (until this video in the course) is able to say, the app is X (unit?) faster than before

Hi @luke_parham!

Where’s the link of the WWDC video you mentioned? Thank you!

@bertomatic Please check out this WWDC session when you get a chance:

I hope it helps!

Thank you for the link!!! :star_struck: