Kodeco Forums

Parse Server Tutorial with iOS

In this tutorial you will learn how to setup your own Parse Server solution hosted on Heroku and connect it with your iOS app.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/717-parse-server-tutorial-with-ios

Thanks Ron for your great tutorial! Iā€™ve been waiting for such a tutorial about Parse Server for so long!

Awesome! Thanks for posting :slight_smile: I love parse-server It helps me a lot

Next, in a new Terminal window, run the following command. Remember to insert your Application ID from the Parse.com dashboard:

Fine, but Parse.com website is not working. Where can I take my application ID ?

Hey,

I have the same issue. Did you figure it out?

nope ): article should be updated

Hi,

Thank you for your comments, I will double check this issue and update the tutorial accordingly

Hello,

Is it possible to avoid putting $0.applicationId in the app (Appdelegate.swift class ) ?
In javascript, Itā€™s really easy, you have just to fill in the date in ā€œconfig varā€
(I would like to improve the security of the app.)

Tanks,

Jamal.

@Jamal You could store and get the values from the keychain. You donā€™t need to put this code in the app delegate, but you will want to authenticate before you attempt to access data.

The code was missing a file for the table view and crashing as a result. Also, the table view itself and the scrollview seem to be doing pretty much the same thing. So, I just removed the scrollview in place of the table view. I also moved all of the network code to its own object and did some refactoring. Feel free to clone it here. You will need your own API keys.

As an aside, I found the tutorial a bit confusing as it doesnā€™t clearly separate local install and remote and why choose one over the other or when to use both. My suggestion is to do the simplest install first, which is just deploying to Heroku, and then add other refinements in clearly separated sections and explain why you would need to, say, create a local install, etc. This would make it a lot easier to follow IMO.

When I first time run ā€œnpm run startā€, Iā€™m able to see some content in the localhost:1337. After replacing the mongodb and myappid, Iā€™m getting curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 1337. What could be the issue?

Below are the paths

Macinotosh HD - usr
Macinotosh HD - dataā€“>db
Macinotosh HD -->Usersā€“>tomā€“>Parse
Macinotosh HD -->Usersā€“>tomā€“>.npm

Below is the error screenshot

parse-server-example@1.4.0 start /Parse
node index.js

/Parse/index.js:17
appId: process.env.APP_ID || ā€˜ā€™,
^

SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
at createScript (vm.js:80:10)
at Object.runInThisContext (vm.js:139:10)
at Module._compile (module.js:588:28)
at Object.Module._extensionsā€¦js (module.js:635:10)
at Module.load (module.js:545:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:508:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:500:3)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:665:10)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:187:16)
at bootstrap_node.js:607:3

npm ERR! parse-server-example@1.4.0 start: node index.js
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the parse-server-example@1.4.0 start script.
npm ERR! This is most likely a problem with the parse-server-example package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node index.js
npm ERR! You can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls parse-server-example
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.
npm ERR! System Darwin 16.7.0
npm ERR! command ā€œ/usr/local/Cellar/node/8.6.0/bin/nodeā€ ā€œ/usr/local/bin/npmā€ ā€œrunā€ ā€œstartā€
npm ERR! cwd /Parse
npm ERR! node -v v8.6.0
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.14
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR! /Parse/npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0

Hey!
I am getting below error when i try to use this code. It would be great if anybody put light on this.
WARN parse-server-push-adapter APNS bundleId is deprecated, use topic instead

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions regarding it are no longer supported for the moment. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]