Installing VirtualBox Mac host and High Sierra Guest

Any pointers to setting this up on my Mac. The first section Page 12, after Getting Started is Getting Around Rootless and towards the bottom of the next page there is a suggestion to use VMWare or VirtualBox for a disabled rootless set-up. Thanks

1 Like

I am also really interested in getting a VM set up to work through this book. I found some instructions here, but they didn’t work - I wasn’t able to boot with the resulting file. Any help on getting this set up would be appreciated!

Have a look at Install macOS 10.3 in a VM

Hm. That seems to give the same message when booting the VM through Virtual Box.

FATAL: No bootable medium found!  System halted.

The file doesn’t come out as a clean .iso when running through the steps you or I provided, though. I keep getting HighSierra.iso.cdr as a result of the final terminal command. Simply removing that .cdr doesn’t seem to fix the issue (though that isn’t too surprising).

How far did you get? You do need to remove the .cdr if you used the ‘original’ link. The code/script on the page I referenced should work as is. It has a larger size (first line) and I don’t think it has the .cdr extension.

Did you get the VirtualBox installed OK? A permission override involved in that process.

I missed a step or two the first (many) times I tried this.

I’ve been able to get to the point where I’m booting the VM. Both your link and my link seem to result in a HighSierra.iso.cdr file. Sounds like you’ve been able to get it to work, so I’m sticking with the terminal commands you provided in that link.

At what point are you removing the .cdr? Somewhere within the terminal commands?

The Virtual Box install should be ok. I run a Windows VM on there all the time.

You need to remove .cdr before attaching to VirtualBox. VB needs an iso file. I then needed to move the .iso file into the range of the admin user for the rest of the steps. The first step in the ‘Install OSX 10.13’ is straightforward but after trying various things that didn’t work I started with a fresh 10.3 VM. Chose the .iso file and start the VM. It can take a little while but finally gets part way to show the recovery disk screen. Open Disk Utility with the VM. That’s the bit that got me confused for some time. The other tricky part was getting into EFI screen. You just need to use reset, return, F12 (fn - louder key for me). It can take a few tries.

Yes, I did get it working but haven’t gone back to it since… I got Xcode working.

I was able to successfully get it installed! I just wiped everything and started from scratch. Must have missed a step somewhere.

I DID have to delete the .cdr from the filename. I didn’t have to do any fancy conversion or anything. Just edited the name.

Also, if anyone needs a reference on how to get the F12 key to show up on the touchbar when using VirtualBoxVM, there’s a little tutorial for that here.

After a number of failed attempts and re-reading the instructions, starting from scratch was a big part of the success for me. Glad you got it to work.

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.