I have iOS Apprentice, should I get this as well?

I already have iOS Apprentice (both PDF and Printed) and was wondering if it’s a good idea to get this book as well. I am up to chapter 3 in the iOS book.

The trouble am having with the iOS book is, I feel like am just like a robot and doing what the book says without really learning anything. It’s like homework rather than the joyful learning experience I thought it would be when I started with Swift.

To be honest if I had known about this book when I bought mine, I would have got this instead.

Dave

I would, if I were you. Swift is a big language, by itself, let alone dealing with the issues that come up with making swift talk to Cocoa classes. This book will give you confidence in language fundamentals so you will be ready for what is ahead.

1 Like

The Swift Apprentice is platform agnostic. It uses interactive playgrounds and focuses only on Swift concepts, pattterns and techniques. After you are confident with all of them, you can continue with iOS Apprentice and then move on to other books in order to learn to build either apps or games in the specific platform of your choice: iOS, tvOS, watchOS, macOS, SpriteKit, SceneKit.

2 Likes

Well, Dave, I have to tell you that I am really disappointed by the Swift Apprentice book.
Explanation are not that good, example are often difficult to understand why you would need to do them, short explanations…
It is basically a reprint of the Apple Swift language, book, with same examples/exercises…that by the way it is free.

On the other hand I have the iOS apprentice that I love because it explains well why you have to use such and such function, with examples that are real (of course you have to follow as a robot but you get the reason why you are using such a function for example).

Maybe different ways to learn and to …explain.

To paraphrase you …to be honest if I had known about this book when I bought mine, I would have got this instead.
:slight_smile:

1 Like