Kodeco Forums

An Introduction to the Swift Package Manager

In this tutorial you will create an executable package and a library package with the Swift Package Manager.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/750-an-introduction-to-the-swift-package-manager

When I use the swift package init --type executable command I get the following error message:

error: unable to invoke subcommand: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/swift-package (No such file or directory)

Using MacOS Sierra v 10.12.3 and Xcode v 8.2.1

I experienced this when I tried the tutorial too. It turned out that my Mac was using the command line tools of an earlier version of Xcode than 8.2.1. Hereā€™s how I ended up fixing it; maybe the same solution will work for you.

Open Xcode, select Xcode > Preferences in the menu, and select the Locations tab. Check that ā€˜Command Line Toolsā€™ is set to Xcode 8.2.1. Then try the swift package command again.

1 Like

hi,

could you show me how to use this to install GitHub - rmzr7/Surge: Numpy for swift through Accelerate into a new Xcode project?

Hey!

Since Surge has Swift package Manager Support, you can add

.Package(url: "https://github.com/mattt/Surge/")

to your dependencies.

Note that Surge doesnā€™t seem to have a stable release with Swift 3 support yet.

Thank you very much for this tutorial. It is promising to get to use Swift outside Xcode. On Ubunto 16.04 I am facing the following problem:

// swift-tools-version:4.0

import PackageDescription

let package = Package(
name: ā€œFlagā€,
dependencies: [
.Package(url: ā€œā€¦/Atlasā€)
]
)

$ swift build
error: /home/mjeragh/Projects/Flag
manifest parse error(s):
/home/mjeragh/Projects/Flag/Package.swift:8:6: error: type ā€˜Package.Dependencyā€™ has no member ā€˜Packageā€™
.Package(url: ā€œā€¦/Atlasā€)
^~~~~~~
PackageDescription.Package.Dependency:2:24: note: did you mean ā€˜packageā€™?
public static func package(url: String, from version: PackageDescription.Version) ā†’ PackageDescription.Package.Dependency
^
PackageDescription.Package.Dependency:3:24: note: did you mean ā€˜packageā€™?
public static func package(url: String, _ requirement: PackageDescription.Package.Dependency.Requirement) ā†’ PackageDescription.Package.Dependency
^
PackageDescription.Package.Dependency:4:24: note: did you mean ā€˜packageā€™?
public static func package(url: String, _ range: Range<PackageDescription.Version>) ā†’ PackageDescription.Package.Dependency
^
PackageDescription.Package.Dependency:5:24: note: did you mean ā€˜packageā€™?
public static func package(url: String, _ range: ClosedRange<PackageDescription.Version>) ā†’ PackageDescription.Package.Dependency
^

Please Help.

I figured it out.
It was the comment
// swift-tools-version:4.0

1 Like

Thank you for this into to Swift PM, it was helpful. Unfortunately, I canā€™t puzzle out how to use Swift PM in a typical GUI project in Xcode (8.3.2).

Basically, I have an existing project that is a ā€œCocoa Applicationā€. It uses a framework from a GitHub repo. Iā€™d like to use Swift PM to include that framework in my project but I canā€™t figure out how to organize that sort of project in Xcode using Swift PM.

I followed this tutorial using swift-tools-version:4.0 Package Manager and had to make a few changes to the ../Flag/Package.swift file:

import PackageDescription

let package = Package(
  name: "Flag",
  dependencies: [
    .package(url: "../Atlas", from: "1.0.0")
  ],
  targets: [
    .target(
      name: "Flag",
      dependencies: ["Atlas"]),
  ]
)

Also, if you choose to tag your library with anything less than x.x.x (i.e. x.x), it will not work. Package manager expects the version tag in x.x.x format.

1 Like

This was my issue as well. I removed the commented line and had no further issues. Thanks!

Where is that comment???

what means ā€œnon-host platformsā€™ā€ ?
in ā€œUntil the Swift Package Manager supports non-host platformsā€¦ā€

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions regarding it are no longer supported for the moment. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]