Xcode Tips and Tricks - Part 2: Keyboard Shortcuts | Ray Wenderlich

Being able to navigate your project with keyboard shortcuts is your best road to proficiency in Xcode. In this video you'll learn the most-used shortcuts.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/3199-xcode-tips-and-tricks/lessons/2
2 Likes

Thank you Caroline. I’m really looking forward to this series!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

The chapter topic is key board shortcuts with modifiers. What is the meaning of the groups of modifiers ? Is there any meaning to Control versus Option ?
Control
Option

@caroline Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

@artnyoga - I’m not sure I understand the question.

Modifiers are keys that you hold down at the same time as you press other keys.

For example, if you press q and hold down Shift, then you get capital Q instead of q. So the Shift key modifies q. The computer recognizes a different keyboard sequence, so provides a different key.

Similarly, if you hold down Control while pressing q, the computer recognizes a different keyboard sequence than if you hold down Option while pressing q.

1 Like

Caroline,

I guess I was after the history and that would have required a whole chapter of your tutorial.

It looks like Option key came about to assist foreign languages.

The use of the Option key is similar to that of the AltGr key on European keyboards of IBM-compatible PCs, in the sense that it can be used to type additional characters, symbols and diacritical marks. The options available differ depending on the keyboard input locale that the user has selected. For example, in the U.S. English keyboard input, ⌥ Option+a produces the “å” character, and ⌥ Option+4 produces the cent sign "¢”.

It also like Control key for old teletype printer-terminal unix days (No computer display) was to get at non printable key codes without their key. Ctrl-J would Line feed the printer.

On teletypewriters and early keyboards, holding down the Control key while pressing another key zeroed the leftmost two bits of the seven bits in the generated ASCII character. This allowed the operator to produce the first 32 characters in the ASCII table. These are non-printing characters that signal the computer to control where the next character will be placed on the display device, eject a printed page or erase the screen, ring the terminal bell, or some other operation. Aptly, these characters are also called control characters .

The Command key ( ), also historically known as the Apple key , clover key ,[1] open-Apple key , splat key , pretzel key ,[1] or propeller key ,[1] is a modifier key present on Apple keyboards. The Command key’s purpose is to allow the user to enter keyboard commands in applications and in the system. An “extended” Macintosh keyboard—the most common type—has two command keys, one on each side of the space bar; some compact keyboards have one only on the left.

Thanks,

Art

1 Like

That’s interesting - I haven’t really thought about the history

1 Like