Xcode 12 Immediate Runtime Crash

Hello everyone. I have been trying to figure out an extremely frustrating issue in Xcode 12. My app builds fine, but immediately upon launch the debugger pauses at an assembly line with a backtrace showing the last line as ImageLoader::trieWalk and no other information.

Oddly, if I switch the scheme configuration from “Debug as User” to “Debug as Root,” the program will run, but the debugger brings up a number of messages that make no sense to me. I copied and pasted an example when running a test project from Metal by Tutorials.

Has anyone else encountered this? It is happening with all of my projects for the last few days. I tried to re-install Xcode to no avail :[

2020-10-26 14:04:28.103848-0500 Texture-macOS[4403:109770] TISFileInterrogator updateSystemInputSources false but old data invalid: currentCacheHeaderPtr nonNULL? 0, ->cacheFormatVersion 0, ->magicCookie 00000000, inputSourceTableCountSys 0

Keyboard Layouts: duplicate keyboard layout identifier -17410.

Keyboard Layouts: keyboard layout identifier -17410 has been replaced with -28673.

Keyboard Layouts: duplicate keyboard layout identifier -30769.

Keyboard Layouts: keyboard layout identifier -30769 has been replaced with -28674.

Keyboard Layouts: duplicate keyboard layout identifier -14934.

Keyboard Layouts: keyboard layout identifier -14934 has been replaced with -28675.

Hi @lducot2,
what is your app doing? or what is the app about? It seems it has something to do with your code and break points, but then I could be speculating as there is no more information provided.

Thanks for checking in. I should have updated my post. As far as I can tell, this is related to BigSur. I installed it not realizing that one of the shader debug features of Xcode is not available on the beta OS.

What I find extremely weird is that if you switch to a different window while the app is starting to run, everything works fine. I found that answer on the Apple dev forum, but no explanation for it. So for anyone reading this, control + tab to any other window while the build phase runs and you should be fine.

Just to clarify, this is happening on all projects, not just metal projects. I cleaned the build, deleted the build folders, and reinstalled Xcode, all to no avail. I even started fresh projects, so it’s not at all related to my code, and probably not even to Xcode.

Moral of the story is — don’t be silly like me and install a beta OS :wink:

Hi @lducot2,
No worries, glad that you found the issue.

Yes, I was running into the same issue in Big Sur, the current Beta, 11.0.1 (20V5012d) fixed it. It was quite annoying.

@lducot2 @videomyster Do you still have issues with this?

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.