Kodeco Forums

Video Tutorial: Unity Basics Part 2: GameObjects and Prefabs

Learn about how to customize your GameObject's behavior through the use of components and save it as a Prefab so it can be used multiple times in your game.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/3197-unity-basics/lessons/3

Hi Brian,

When I was about to start the challenge to add the Asteroids, I realized I didn’t have the folder labeled asteroids in the starter files. Or if it is, I don’t know where. Can you tell me where to get it?

I would suggest that you include a folder in the download material with only this elements.

Thank you.

PD: I happened the same for the Spaceship but I figure out a way to get the files.

Hi @vegetarianzombie ,

I was following this video and found that my camera is not cooperating. When I moved the Base of the spaceship without texture the camera moved with it. Can you explain reasons why these might lock together and how to unlock them?

Thank you,

Aiden

Hi Aiden,

It’s hard to say without seeing your project. My guess is that when you added the project to the hierarchy, it became parented to the camera. If that’s the case, you can drag the camera out of the ship.

The other issue may be that the ship imported it’s own camera. If this is the case, you can follow these instructions:

Select the hextraction_pod in the Project window. In the Inspector window, make sure the Model tab is selected. Uncheck Import Cameras .

Hopefully, that should solve the issue. Thanks!

Hi Brian,

I followed your instructions and I found out that it worked! With that out of the way I’m continuing and finding other problems but I’m figuring them out better on my own.

What I am trying to say is thank you.

Aiden.

Hi. Thanks for the tutorial. I’m having a problem with the Spaceship and the IonCannon script I think. Everything was going just fine, but when I added the IonCannon script to the Spaceship and then tested the game in the Game Screen… the Spaceship disappeared as soon as I pressed the space bar. The bullet got shot, too, but the Spaceship disappeared and after 1-2 seconds it reappears in the starting position… only to happen the same over and over. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?
Thanks!

@bdmoakley Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]