Kodeco Forums

Video Tutorial: Beginning watchOS: Series Introduction

Find out what's covered in our Beginning watchOS video tutorial series.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/3359-beginning-watchos/lessons/1

Hi Greg, can we have links to the next videos please. Great content, looking forward seeing new material in coming weeks.

Are these going to be updated to Swift 3.0 or 4.0 ?

Xcode 8 and above no longer supports Swift 2.0 which these tutorials are based upon.

Will this be updated? Hopefully it gets updated.

Still waiting for it to get updated…

Very disappointing to see such out of date tutorials! What’s the point of having a subscription if the information isn’t updated as newer SDKs are launched?

I’m starting to wonder if the subscription is really worth it, when there are tutorials on Youtube which actually cover relevant information.

@jessycatterwaul @jcatterwaul Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hi all! Thanks for letting us know about your interest in updating this course.

I’d like to give you a “behind the scenes” look on how our team works, and the decision process we take when deciding which courses to create or update.

Just like any team, we only have a finite number of things we can do each year, based on the number of people on our team (which in turn, is based on our number of subscribers).

In our case, we currently have the capacity to create or update around 35 courses per year (plus screencasts), and this number grows each year. So - we have to make the best decisions we can in terms of:

• How many of these should be new courses on hot topics subscribers want to learn about? There’s always something new people are interested in learning, and we don’t want our library to stagnate.
  • How many of these should be updates to our existing catalog? And which courses are most important to update?

Usually, we try to have a balance of the two - some exciting new courses for folks, balanced with continual updates of our most popular courses. And I think you’ll see that we update far more of our courses on a regular basis than any of our competitors (as we agree updates are important, and it’s in our DNA to regularly update as many of our books, courses, and tutorials as we can).

The key word though is most popular. Given that we have finite resources, we need to focus our updates on the courses that are most popular, so that we’re helping the largest percentage of our subscribers.

And unfortunately, watchOS (and tvOS) have consistently been unpopular topics. I wish it wasn’t so as we were really excited about both platforms when they were announced and dove into it with both feet straight away, but any tutorial, book, or video course we have created on these topics has done poorly for the past few years. In fact, we recently had to cancel any further updates to our watchOS by Tutorials book because frankly, not enough people were buying the book to make it worth our time to update it anymore.

So to answer the question - we currently do not plan to update this course, because it is not popular. If that changes in the future, and there is more interest in watchOS development, this may change. In the meantime, there is some good information in these courses - but it would require porting the code to the latest version of Swift.

I know this isn’t the answer you’re hoping for, but hopefully it helps you understand where we’re coming from here, with the goal to create (and maintain) the best possible library of courses & screencasts for our subscribers, based on the majority interest.

Thanks all!