Video Tutorial: Beginning Core Data Part 3: Relationships

I’m having issues with the challenge finished downloads. They don’t show the results of how to complete the challenge. This isn’t the first one I’ve downloaded that was not completed. I would like to see if there were other ways of getting the results besides the code that I composed to reach my answer.

Hi, I am implementing core data in my project, reading bit by bit information but for some reason I am continuously getting fatal error because of managedobjectcontext. I have tried to use it exactly the same way as in 3rd lecture but no success :frowning: Please if you can provide some idea it will realy be helpful :slight_smile:

Hi @alakh, are you passing the Core Data stack along to your other view controllers? Since it’s set up as an implicitly-unwrapped optional, that’s the most common cause of crashes — the view controller accesses the stack property and it’s set to nil because the calling view controller didn’t set it in the prepareForSegue or elsewhere.

Vimeo says:
Sorry
Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here.

Can you please do something about this?

Hi @ibum,

I just checked the privacy settings, and am not seeing anything abnormal. I tried viewing in Chrome and Safari and the video played normally.

Can you try refreshing the page, or viewing in a different browser and let me know if you are still having the issue. It’d help me to know what browser you are using when you have this issue.

Thanks,
Christine

@csweigart, I’ve been seeing this problem on my iPhone, since last Tuesday, for all the videos on the site. I normally only watch the videos on OS X, so it hasn’t been much of a problem, but it did not use to be this way.

Hi,
This is iOS 9.3 Safari. I don’t get this message for every video, but for lots of them.

@ibum and @jcatterwaul Thanks for letting me know what you are using. I’ve sent an inquiry to Vimeo about this. Hoping to hear back from them soon as to what’s going on here.

1 Like

Hi, any updates on this? Videos that were available yesterday are becoming unavailable today. Am I going to be compensated for these outages? This is the second day.

@csweigart Any updates on this?

Hi @ibum,

Unfortunately the response we received from Vimeo says the only work around is to disable our privacy settings which we clearly can not do.

The problem affected Safari 9.1 for OSX and devices running iOS 9.3. This issue has been reported to Apple and Vimeo and they are working on a fix. The problem in Safari 9.1 is now reported as resolve and so you should be able to view our videos without incident on your Mac either in Safari or another browser.

Unfortunately, the issues in iOS 9.3.1 have not yet been resolved by Apple so the videos will likely still have issues if you attempt to play them on a device running iOS 9.3.1 (eg. an iPhone).

Please let me know if you are still experiencing issues with playback on your Mac and if so, what is the version of the browser you are running?

Thanks,
Christine

1 Like

I’m still having this issue on an iPad 2 with iOS 9.3.1 and in Chrome for iOS. Same problem on an iPhone 6 - with iOS 9.3 on safari and chrome. Any news of a fix ? My subscription is not much good to me if I can’t watch the videos :frowning:

Hi @bashome,

The problem is due to and issue with iOS 9.3.1 and vimeo.com privacy settings. We use Vimeo to host all of our videos. Since iOS 9.3.1 is what you are running on your iPhone and iPad, then the videos may have issues with playback on those devices.

A fix is expected with iOS 9.3.2, but unfortunately, there’s no ETA on this as Apple does not announce in advance when it will release these updates.

Until this fix comes, the videos can be viewed on your Mac.

Kind regards,
Christine

Hi Christine,
Thank you for the reply … I was able to find the core issue thread over at your video hosting vendor site … Help Center.

Unfortunately for me, I prefer to watch the videos untethered from my desk so iPad or iPhone as my options, I specifically updated the iPad to 9.3.1 as I thought it would solve this problem, but rather it locked it in :-).

I am going to try the alternate browser option on iOS … the Dolphin Browser appears to work on the iPhone, but have not yet tried it on the iPad. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dolphin-web-browser-free-ad/id452204407?mt=8

Cheers,
Brett.

Thanks

This solved a problem I have been fighting for a week.

“Hi @alakh, are you passing the Core Data stack along to your other view controllers? Since it’s set up as an implicitly-unwrapped optional, that’s the most common cause of crashes — the view controller accesses the stack property and it’s set to nil because the calling view controller didn’t set it in the prepareForSegue or elsewhere.”

Greg, I went over the first 3 videos and read and did the challenges, And no where Did you explain, The PersonPicker??? What am I missing please??? And where did you explain on how we are able to implement the Person Picker when we assign the Device Owner ?? This has driven me crazy. I hope that you can point me where I missed your discussion on this implementation
Robert:unamused:

Hi Greg, how do I go about ensuring each record in an entity is unique? Is this covered in any of the tutorials?

Thanks!

I agree. I’m going through this tutorial but have found that even through I completed all of the code from the previous tutorial video, including the challenges, that I cannot use this as a starting point to follow along with this video, Part 3. When I compare my code with that from the ‘demo finished’ code I find that there is a whole lot of new code in there that was never covered nor discussed during the tutorial.
My project runs, but selecting a cell in the main screen does nothing, it never segues over to the screen when I can view device name, type or owner.
I’ve gone through file by file, line by line adding code from the ‘demo finished’ project to mine, and yet my code still doesn’t work.
These omissions seriously diminish the usefulness of these utilities and I hope that this can be resolved for this series of tutorials.

Each video starts crystal clear then goes blurry a few minutes later. If I refresh the page, the blurry part is clear again, but goes blurry a few minutes later. I cannot see any settings for video quality. Please advise if others are facing the same issue and if there are any remedies. Thanks in advance.

Hi :slight_smile:
In challenge documentation there’re an small issue:
there’re no:
let sort = …

Instead there should be:
let sortDescriptor = …

Oh, and in challenge starter project there’re no such a constant at all :wink: