Kodeco Forums

Video Tutorial: Advanced watchOS Part 5: Watch Connectivity II

Continue with watch connectivity and learn about background transfers and application context data.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/3358-advanced-watchos/lessons/6

Hi Greg:

Good tutorial. You covered interactive messaging and application context. Are you also planning on recording a tutorial on File Transfers for Watch Connectivity? It would be great to learn how to transfer a tableview that contains images and text from the iPhone to the Apple Watch.

Best,

Rod

Hi Rod, file transfers are not in this series, unfortunately.

My colleague Mic tells me that file transfers are not very robust, to say the least. He suggested using the other modes and wrapping your file in NSData to send across. That might be an option to bundle up your images and text data and send them from phone to watch.

Hi Greg:

Thanks for the quick response. I’m not familiar with wrapping images and text in NSData. Application Context seems most appropriate for what I’m trying to accomplish as I only need the most recent data to be sent. Is there a tutorial or a stack overflow link that Mic can point me to where I can learn how to do the NSData wrapping you’re referring to?

Best,

Rod

You can look for docs/tutorials on NSKeyedArchiver. We do have a tutorial on the site, but it’s a bit out of date and in Objective-C. But you’ll find plenty of things out there on the Internet!