Vapor vs PHP and others?

I’m a long time server-side developer who’s made my career developing sites using ASP, PHP, and primarily CFScript (new syntax for ColdFusion), plus supporting front end languages JS, CSS, and Html of course. Am using RW’s awesome site to learn Swift for app development and came across Vapor. Re: API development, REST services, and general connectivity between iOS apps and server resources, is Vapor worth reviewing in favor of PHP and other established server side environments?

@cscott obviously I’m biased! But I’d definitely say Vapor and server-side Swift are at the point where they can be considered for future projects. There are still some issues to solve, but the SSWG should help solve most of those.

1 Like

I have my Apple - app receipt server validator with vapor swift. I did not developed it my self, I asked in freelancer.com Haven’t had any problems with it. I’m renting a server in macincloud at 50us per month. Don’t know if you can use vapor swift in cheaper machines. But I regret not checking into that before.

1 Like

Yeah you can definitely run it on much cheaper machines considering Vapor runs on Ubuntu: https://www.linode.com/pricing