Kodeco Forums

Unity Tutorial Part 1: Getting Started

This is the first chapter from Unity Games by Tutorials, so you can get a sneak peek at what's inside the book. It's part of our book release celebration week — we hope you enjoy!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/1084-unity-tutorial-part-1-getting-started

Thanks for the Tutorial. Hope for this book!

1 Like

Thanks for the tutorial. Comes at at time where I am starting to learn Unity myself. I know this is way off topic, but any insight on Unity’s stability as a program? I’ve only used it for about a week and it (along with MonoDevelop) seems to be a crash fest. I seem to find a lot of similar sentiments after a short google search. Just curious if it is worth my time. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m glad you’ve been enjoying the tutorial. Regarding Unity’s stability, I’d say a crashes a bit higher than average (or at least it feels that way) but I don’t experience daily crashes.

The lack of an autosave makes a crash particularly painful, though. You can find lots of scripts that will autosave for you, so it’s not that big of deal.

It’s definitely worth your time! Especially, for the price of admission :wink: Cheers

PLUS-License:
Splashscreen: Custom Animation or None
An annual revenue capacity or funds raised capacity of $200k per fiscal year exists for Plus customers.

Hello Brian,

thank you for the fantastic tutorial. One thing is a little bit confusing for me, though. In the chapter “Adding the Hero” you are mentionind two default objects in the hierarchy view. However I can’t see/find them. The only thing I see is the BobbleArena and the BobbleMarine.
Otherwise I have strictly sticked to your tutorial.

Best regards

Oliver

How much detail on creating models in blender does this book go into? Thanks.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]