Tutorials and Books about MacOS Development

Hi, everybody.

After ios I’m getting closer to the development for mac OS. But unfortunately I’m finding very few tutorials. Also here in RayWnderlich there are some tutorials, obviously I give excellent quality, but they are very few. I wanted to ask, are other tutorials on MacOS scheduled? Is there also a book planned to develop in this environment?

Regardless of my project to create a text editor with syntax highlighter, it is really daunting to find so little documentation for a potential like Mac OS X. You could create beautiful applications in a simpler and faster way if you had more tutorials.

5 Likes

Hi Rufy! We used to make tutorials on macOS development, but stopped because unfortunately they weren’t nearly as popular as our iOS, Android, or Unity tutorials. You can see our older (unsupported) tutorials here:

I hope to make macOS tutorials again in the future if there is more interest from the development community. I’m hoping there’s a resurgence of interest once Marzipan is released this fall.

Thanks for letting me know of your interest!

4 Likes

Thank you very much @rwenderlich.

It is a pity that you stopped in making new tutorials on this subject. because they interest me. and the lack of tutorials is a real deterrent. anyway, thanks anyway for the answer

1 Like

It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy, though: there are few resources (and occasionally there are no resources at all) therefore iOS developers aren’t tempted to try making desktop stuff, therefore there is no demand for tutorials…

(While I occasionally venture into iOS, my main platform is the Mac, and I, too, would like to see more tutorials, particularly on architecture.)

2 Likes

Yeah it is a bit of a catch-22 isn’t it? Hopefully we’ll be able to give it another shot later on - and fingers crossed there is more interest in the tutorials from the community next time! :]

I am thinking Ray has the right approach here waiting for Marzipan before deciding on the next tutorial for Mac OS. If I understand Apple correctly Marzipan will let us develop Mac OS apps using iOS frameworks. That would let us port existing iOS apps to the Mac or write a new Mac app using the iOS approach.

1 Like

Just wanted to reply with my support for macOS tutorials. I have little interest (at this point) in iOS development, as my initial goal is to develop in-house tools for my business, then later branch out to iOS apps.

1 Like

I too would like to see more tutorials for OS X available. I am particularly interested in I/O and IOKit and how to use it with Swift, especially USB. I would purchase ebooks on those topics also if they were available. I have learned so much from your IOS books and tutorials already and I’m ready to tackle more complicated things.

Jim

Hi. I also want to add that im thoroughly enjoying the older macos tutorials. I said in a previous post that for me at this, this is the reason for being for your site, its your claim to fame and what put you on the radar :slight_smile:

I just completed the drag and drop tutorial by warren burton, one of your better tutorial writers imo. What i’ve been doing is translating both the sample projects and the tutorial code to objective-c as part of the learning experience. Warrens sample code is also top quality compared to other tutorials.

Since i can’t make new posts, and the discussion for that thread has been closed, in case you’re interested there seems to be a small problem with the logic in the final stages of that tutorial. When reading the pasteboard types on high sierra at least, it seems that the entire history of the pasteboard is made available, not just relative to that app running, so simply looking for the presence of the TIFF type or the custom sparkle type wasn’t enough. The first check always returns true because what im guessing is the prior pasteboard use. Im not sure if this is the most elegant solution, but i got it working by using dragginginfo.draggingsource iskindofclass instead of pasteboard.types.

Also the translation of that project to objective-c experience completely cemented how horrific swift is as a language compared to objective-c, and im truly mortified apple are promoting this language as easier to learn. Inferred types is nasty business, but why swift is terrible you could write books on.

Anyway. The real other point of this post is i absolutely love your macos tutorials, as stale as they are, and if you don’t know already… you are the ONLY SOURCE of these online :slight_smile: Best of luck.

Hello, another fellow macos user here.

For your project, the raywenderlich tutorial on document based types (named winmdows and windowcontroller tutorial) is probably a good starter project for something like that…

https://www.raywenderlich.com/613-windows-and-windowcontroller-tutorial-for-macos

1 Like

Please add me to the list of people interested in macOS development tutorials.

Can’t say too much (and haven’t actually tried it yet), but while you can use UIKit to port your apps to macOS, you still need to know about how to make a great desktop app: mouse/keyboard instead of touches, no multitouch, menus, context menus, toolbars, touch bar, and, and, and. Plus all of the features that macOS users expect like multiple windows, inspectors, app interactions etc etc. Making your core code run is relatively trivial, but the rest of the work still needs to be done, whether you use AppKit or UiKit for Mac, and that hasn’t changed.

Now would be a great time to bring out tutorials about macOs…

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.