The speech in some tutorials is not understandable

The people speaking on two recently new tutorials that I tried to follow were so difficult to understand that I gave up on their tutorials. I don’t want to name the speakers because I don’t want them to feel bad. I know they sincerely tried to do an excellent job. But the listening experience was frustrating. I wanted to hear about their topics, I downloaded their material, queued it up in Xcode, and started playing the tutorial but then realized I couldn’t understand what they were saying.

Some people may be more able to understand unfamiliar speech than I can, but I’m sure I’m not alone in having difficulty. In one case the speaker was a non-native English speaker who spoke too fast and accented the wrong syllables. The other was a native speaker with unusual speech habits that interfered with intelligibility. If anybody has an idea about how to improve intelligibility in the tutorials please comment. I don’t see an easy fix other than getting a different speaker, which I know is probably not possible in many cases.

I’m sorry to hear you had trouble understanding some of our instructors!

We will keep an eye on this and improve as we can moving forward. In the meantime, we do have subtitles on our videos, which can help in some cases.

1 Like