Testing in iOS - Part 29: Conclusion | Ray Wenderlich

This video concludes the series and gives you some things to think about in your future testing.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/3530-testing-in-ios/lessons/29

So dry, I’m almost choking. 90% of the material was recycled junk that has been in circulation for millennia and the “new” content was really short and unhelpful. This course didn’t teach me anything I hadn’t already found out about testing with a 5 minute Google search, and unlike this course, that was for free. Also, I completed the whole UI testing section in about 20 minutes, which cannot be right, since it used to take me days to go over a whole section of some of your other (properly done) courses. I was really looking forward to this tutorial and I am sad to say that this is the first time that I have been so badly disappointed by you guys, who have always been an inspiration. Shame.

29 Conclusion section in download materials has a file.zip number 28.

@bdmoakley Can you please help with this when you get a chance? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hi Tomn, There shouldn’t have been materials as part of this video. I’ve deleted them. Thanks!

I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed. We’re always refining our methods to make them better and we’ll take your comments into account the next time we visit this course. Thanks so much.

1 Like

I had only played around with this a little bit based on the documentation and such on the internet. This class was a great easy to follow along tutorial. I will definitely be doing a lot more of this in my apps.

Would like to see a tutorial in the future about building BOTs and setting up a build server if possible.

Great Job Brian and everyone behind the scenes!

1 Like

That’s great - I’m glad the tutorial course helped you out. Fahim was the person who organized all the materials so a big hats off to him. I’ll add your suggestions to the wish list!

I’ve been doing iOS development for many years now but somehow just didn’t get to work with Unit/UI tests.
This tutorial was very well structured, very clear and to the point.
Thank you so much and keep up the good work.
Great start for 2018!

2 Likes

That’s great to hear! I’m glad the course helped you out!

1 Like

This is a great intro course. Also, an advanced testing course would be great :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great to know. I’ll pass on your suggestion to the rest of the team.

This was a really valuable course for me. I’ve done a little unit testing but not much. The UITesting part was new for me and I expect to be rewatching quite a few parts of this video series when I’m working on my tests. I’m an independent developer with no one to ask but the internet and courses like this are invaluable. Thanks. Oh, the code coverage stuff is actually my favorite part of the series.

Well I found this really useful. I thought it was paced well and I’ll be returning to several sections until I get that method solidified. If you already knew this stuff, or could easily pick it up from 5 minutes on google you are not the target audience. I think this is really going to help my ios development. Beginner course are for beginners. Veterans can benefit by watching to look for holes in their understanding but can’t really expect the parts they already know to be anything but dry. I’m happy to have paid for a well paced complete picture of getting started.

1 Like

For me I think it is a quite good tutorial for UniteTest.
Since I worked alone and didn’t know how other developers doing there Unite test.
And this course taught me a lot.
Great Job Brian and everyone behind the tutorial!

1 Like

Thanks so much - I’m glad you enjoyed the course!

Great job on the course.

My application is somewhat of the form of Apple Maps, so it is a single view with other views which popup from a bottom drawer upon certain events. For my app, launching, requesting authorization for notifications, location, then requesting user identification for CloudKit all involve interaction, waiting, or a combination. Explaining a bit more how to approach testing for apps which do not record will. be helpful. You stated there is a class which identifies properties, though did not show examples of how to dump and use the properties for those apps which are not recordable.

@bdmoakley Do you have any feedback regarding this? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

There should be one more course “Expert Unit/UI testing” to cover more complicated scenarios.