Tacet - the haptic metronome for Apple Watch

Before I begin, I should mention I am 15, so if you run into any issues with tacet or have any feedback, PLEASE let me know - I want to learn.

I am the developer behind tacet tacet the silent haptic metronome, BPM calculator, and handy tempo reference table for Apple Watch. I launched it several months ago, and the response has been amazing. I got so much great feedback, and today I am proud to announce the next major release, tacet 1.1.

The new version brings a variety of new features, from interface improvements to a better BPM calculation algorithm to improved haptic feedback. Tacet allows you to have a silent metronome always on your wrist, where you can feel the beats (without an annoying audible tone), figure out the BPM of a song on the fly, and find a convenient reference to the BPM ranges of common tempos.

It is available completely free on the App Store, and if you really like it, there is a 99 cent in app purchase to support development you can make.

Please check it out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tacet-haptic-silent-metronome/id1039646461?mt=8

Thanks!

1 Like

That’s a cool idea! But have you measured the impact on battery life? I don’t have much idea how much power haptic feedback consumes but as it’s mechanical I think it might be significant.

In my experience, since it is only used for short periods of time, it does not significantly impact battery life.

Thanks for using tacet - and let me know if you have any more feedback or questions!

I am a music teacher and fascinated by the idea of this metronome. I have a question. Is it possible to use the app while playing the hammered dulcimer? Every time I begin to play (turning the watch vertical) the metronome stops. Thanks for your assistance!

Thanks so much for downloading tacet!

To answer your question: unfortunately, tacet is designed to run only when the watch is awake, and not when the screen is dark (this is a limitation on Apple’s end - they don’t provide developers with the code to override sleep. I am hopeful this will be resolved soon by Apple).

However, I still hope that you find tacet useful. In my experience - music being a hobby of mine (I sing and play violin) - the fact that tacet is always on your wrist provides a feature that a traditional metronome does not. If you want to check your tempo before getting started, or check tempo between songs, that is just a few taps away (without the need to fumble with a traditional metronome). In other words, I hope it is plenty useful for you, even without, for now, the feature you discussed.

I hope this was useful, and seriously - thanks for downloading tacet! Please send any additional feedback at all my way.

I love the app… but… I have the new series 4 watch and as a guitar player… the app sleeps as soon as I turn my wrist over… I see no way to turn off this apple feature…