`swift run` Server Error

Can you describe what do you do and what error do you get?

I run swift run or the command from your comment:

in the 00-book-server directory and get

./ModernSwiftConcurrency/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIOCore/AsyncAwaitSupport+OldXcodes.swift:66:91: error: cannot find type 'Task' in scope
    public func completeWithTask(_ body: @escaping @Sendable () async throws -> Value) -> Task<Void, Never> {
                                                                                          ^~~~
./ModernSwiftConcurrency/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIOCore/AsyncAwaitSupport+OldXcodes.swift:25:26: error: cannot find 'withUnsafeThrowingContinuation' in scope
        return try await withUnsafeThrowingContinuation { cont in
                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
./ModernSwiftConcurrency/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIOCore/AsyncAwaitSupport+OldXcodes.swift:43:26: error: cannot find 'withCheckedThrowingContinuation' in scope
        return try await withCheckedThrowingContinuation { cont in
                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[862/863] Compiling NIOCore AsyncAwaitSupport+OldXcodes.swift
error: fatalError

Could you please make sure you followed the steps I listed above - including cleaning the build directory and deleting the package lock file?

If you still get the same error, please let me know what’s the output of swift --version so I can try to reproduce

Yep, I tried the cleaning steps as well, and here are the errors after the steps listed above:

./ModernSwiftConcurrency/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIOCore/AsyncAwaitSupport+OldXcodes.swift:66:91: error: cannot find type 'Task' in scope
    public func completeWithTask(_ body: @escaping @Sendable () async throws -> Value) -> Task<Void, Never> {
                                                                                          ^~~~
./ModernSwiftConcurrency/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIOCore/AsyncAwaitSupport+OldXcodes.swift:25:26: error: cannot find 'withUnsafeThrowingContinuation' in scope
./ModernSwiftConcurrency/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/swift-nio/Sources/NIOCore/AsyncAwaitSupport+OldXcodes.swift:43:26: error: cannot find 'withCheckedThrowingContinuation' in scope
                                                                                          ^~~~
                                                                                          ^~~~
[1043/1044] Compiling NIOCore ByteBuffer-lengthPrefix.swift
error: fatalError

The output of swift --version:

swift-driver version: 1.26.9 Apple Swift version 5.5 (swiftlang-1300.0.31.1 clang-1300.0.29.1)
Target: x86_64-apple-macosx12.0

I’m a little confused myself to be honest, since you have macOS 12 SwiftNIO should be compiling just fine…

What I notice is that the backwards compatibility of the Concurrency module was introduced in Swift 5.5.2 and you have 5.5 so that might be hitting some edge case in the conditional compilations in SwiftNIO.

Have you tried installing the latest Xcode?

So yes I installed the latest Xcode but my command-line tools were pointing to Xcode 13.0, not Xcode 13.2.1, and changing that fixed it for me. Changed it under Xcode → Preferences → Locations. Thanks for your help!

you’re welcome, this really ought to be an issue on NIO’s side where an if isn’t checking for 5.5.2 but 5.5 :man_shrugging:t4:

I am getting this error when trying to run swift run:

Merging module COperatingSystemerror: error reading dependency file ‘/Users/NN/Desktop/Async:Await/ray async:await/00-book-server/.build/x86_64-apple-macosx/debug/COperatingSystem.build/Exports.d’: unexpected character in prerequisites

I have Xcode 13.1 and running macOS Monterey 12.2.1

I’m gonna go on a limb here and guess that the error message saying “unexpected character in prerequisites” is about those colons in the folder names. Can you check out the repo is a folder with a simpler name like “swiftconcurrrency” and try again?

I had a “fatal error: could not build module ‘Darwin’ book server” error.

This set of commands resolved my error.

Cheers!

1 Like

This error means there is a problem on the server side. A server error can be caused by any number of things from uploading the incorrect file to as bug in a piece of code. This error response is a generic “catch-all” response.

Tips to Fix the Server Error
Backing Up Your Site
Clear your browser cookies and cache
Reload or Refresh the Webpage

Greeting,
Rachel Gomez

I had a lot of errors:

/Users/alex/Desktop/concurrency_files/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/vapor/Sources/Vapor/HTTP/Headers/HTTPHeaders+Directive.swift:230:14: error: ambiguous use of ‘split(separator:maxSplits:omittingEmptySubsequences:)’
self.lazy.split(separator: “\”).reduce(into: “”) { (result, part) in
^
Swift.Sequence:2:40: note: found this candidate
@inlinable public __consuming func split(separator: Self.Element, maxSplits: Int = Int.max, omittingEmptySubsequences: Bool = true) → [ArraySlice<Self.Element>]
^
Swift.Collection:2:40: note: found this candidate
@inlinable public __consuming func split(separator: Self.Element, maxSplits: Int = Int.max, omittingEmptySubsequences: Bool = true) → [Self.SubSequence]
^
/Users/alex/Desktop/concurrency_files/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/vapor/Sources/Vapor/HTTP/Headers/HTTPHeaders+Directive.swift:230:14: error: ambiguous use of ‘split(separator:maxSplits:omittingEmptySubsequences:)’
^
@inlinable public __consuming func split(separator: Self.Element, maxSplits: Int = Int.max, omittingEmptySubsequences: Bool = true) → [ArraySlice<Self.Element>]
^
@inlinable public __consuming func split(separator: Self.Element, maxSplits: Int = Int.max, omittingEmptySubsequences: Bool = true) → [Self.SubSequence]
^
^
^

and so on

XCode Version 14.0.1 (14A400),
swift-driver version: 1.62.8 Apple Swift version 5.7 (swiftlang-5.7.0.127.4 clang-1400.0.29.50)
Target: x86_64-apple-macosx12.0

I’m running macOS 13 with Xcode 14.1 here and the server builds and runs for me. Can you make sure you have an up to date version of the code from GitHub - kodecocodes/mcon-materials: The projects and materials that accompany the Modern Concurrency in Swift book please?

1 Like

I downloaded latest version of the code from Github and “Yes”. It’s perfectly working.

Thanks for help. :grinning: :+1: :+1: :+1: :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

When I try “swift run”, I get:
error: terminated(1): /usr/bin/xcrun --sdk macosx --show-sdk-platform-path output:
xcrun: error: unable to lookup item ‘PlatformPath’ from command line tools installation
xcrun: error: unable to lookup item ‘PlatformPath’ in SDK ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk’

For context, I’m running xcode version 14.3, and “swift --version” gives me:
Apple Swift version 5.8.1 (swiftlang-5.8.0.124.5 clang-1403.0.22.11.100)
Target: arm64-apple-darwin22.5.0

Any idea on solving the “swift run” error? I’m following the serverside swift with vapor book, version 3.
Thanks!

Hi,

I’m getting the following errors after “swift run”:

patvdp@MiniPat 00-book-server % rm -Rf .build
patvdp@MiniPat 00-book-server % swift run
Fetching GitHub - vapor/vapor: 💧 A server-side Swift HTTP web framework. from cache
warning: ‘vapor’: skipping cache due to an error: Couldn’t fetch updates from remote repositories:
Unknown option: -C
usage: git [–version] [–help] [-c name=value]
[–exec-path[=]] [–html-path] [–man-path] [–info-path]
[-p|–paginate|–no-pager] [–no-replace-objects] [–bare]
[–git-dir=] [–work-tree=] [–namespace=]
[]
Fetched GitHub - vapor/vapor: 💧 A server-side Swift HTTP web framework. (19.51s)
error: Couldn’t get the list of tags:
Unknown option: -C
usage: git [–version] [–help] [-c name=value]
[–exec-path[=]] [–html-path] [–man-path] [–info-path]
[-p|–paginate|–no-pager] [–no-replace-objects] [–bare]
[–git-dir=] [–work-tree=] [–namespace=]
[]

I’m running Ventura 13.5, Xcode 14.3.1.
Swift version:
swift-driver version: 1.75.2 Apple Swift version 5.8.1 (swiftlang-5.8.0.124.5 clang-1403.0.22.11.100)

Target: arm64-apple-macosx13.0

How can I fix this?
Thanks, Patrick

Hi Akin! there’s an answer in StackOverflow

it suggests trying this command to restore the correct path to the SDK:

$ sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer

I server run successfully but when I try to open the page this happens:

any help

Why these dependencies are there to read the book? Frustrating with error “fatalError”.

Hello,

I just started reading the book and trying to run the server.
I get these errors:

/Users/nsd/Desktop/mcon-materials/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/vapor/Sources/Vapor/HTTP/Server/HTTPServer.swift:380:54: error: reference to captured var 'application' in concurrently-executing code
                                        application: application!,
                                                     ^
/Users/nsd/Desktop/mcon-materials/00-book-server/.build/checkouts/vapor/Sources/Vapor/HTTP/Server/HTTPServer.swift:388:46: error: reference to captured var 'application' in concurrently-executing code
                                application: application!,
                                             ^

M1 Pro
macOS 14.2.1
Xcode 15.2

swift --version:

swift-driver version: 1.87.3 Apple Swift version 5.9.2 (swiftlang-5.9.2.2.56 clang-1500.1.0.2.5)
Target: arm64-apple-macosx14.0
1 Like