Kodeco Forums

Swift JSON Tutorial: Working with JSON

In this Swift JSON tutorial, you'll learn how to process JSON in Swift 3, both natively and using the fantastic Gloss framework. Developers, start your parsers!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/734-swift-json-tutorial-working-with-json

Interesting topic. We also can use such codegen for JSON as “SwiftyJSONAccelerator”.
Helps a lot.

Showing us both ways to deal with JSON was really good. And the Apple blog post on using JSON with Swift is excellent! So thank you for this tutorial. However I"ll voice a small concern: the various steps to print the top app are well detailed, both ways, but what is missing is the underlining of the advantages of one approach over the other. After all the Gloss approach is way more verbose, you have to write more models, therefore its superiority does not strike me.

So what is your take on that? What benefits does the Gloss approach bring?

Yeah, I actually didn’t really want to take a side in the tutorial since different people like different things, but when it comes to something like json parsing, I tend to just want to roll my own, even though the actual parsing code may get a little more verbose. I just don’t think json parsing is a complex enough problem to deserve bringing a whole 3rd party framework into an app.

This tutorial seems to be misleading information. There is no information as to how would one link Gloss to the project. We do not make projects in playgrounds.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]