Set a general manual video quality because of internet quota

Video quality in tutorials are set to “auto” and it causes a high quality stream. I enjoy high quality stream, but unfortunately my internet bandwidth has a quota and I must set this setting to 540p every time a video starts. This can be annoying if you have to do that every time a video begins. Can you please make a general setting for that, if possible?

@ertugrul Thank you for sharing this - much appreciated! I have sent it to the video team.

Hi @ertugrul,

Thanks for your suggestion. Sadly, we have looked into making this setting persist between videos in the past, and it’s not currently possible with our current video player. This is functionality that we’d like to be able to offer though, so the request remains on our wish-list. At some point we will have to replace the existing player with a better one, and we’ll require that we can do precisely what you’ve asked for.

Sorry I can’t promise you a simple fix right now, and that I can’t give you any kind of timeframe. It’s on the list, but it’s not currently scheduled.

cheers

sam

Hi, I’d just like to offer another reason why this is important - I’m using a 2013 MacBook Air and running Xcode, iOS Simulator and a 1080p video stream is too much for my laptop to handle! 720p works ok though, so I need to manually change the video stream each time. Thanks!

EDIT: Just found a dirty workaround - in the Firefox Dev Tools, under ‘Network’, you can throttle the network speed. Setting it to ‘Regular 4G’ means that ‘auto’ quality ends up being 720p. Haven’t tested this thoroughly however!

@larryhudson Thank you for sharing your solution - much appreciated! :]