Server Side Swift with Perfect - Part 3: Server Side | Ray Wenderlich

Perfect Assistant is a free Mac app developed by PerfectlySoft that automates common development tasks with Perfect. In this screencast, you'll learn how to use it to easily deploy your Perfect web apps to Amazon EC2.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/3989-server-side-swift-with-perfect/lessons/3

Hi Ray, thank you for the tutorial.
But there are some things that I felt were missed in the video.
For example, to someone completely new to aws like me, skipping the selection of default region when configuring aws in cli was confusing. Even if you were to skip that part, a brief mention/ introduction to regions and availability zones would have been helpful.
For example, I am not in the US and it took me some time to figure out the correct region I needed to use, and why I wasn’t seeing the instances in the console that were being made and returned in cli. Had to change my region in the console. So, at least letting the viewers know that this feature exists would save them some frustration.

Another thing which I still am not able to figure out is the security groups I create in my aws console don’t show up in the perfect assistant so any insight on this would be really helpful.

I already have an account on AWS, I had to update my billing information and I just discover that they do not support CCV

Just received an email saying

Amazon is not set up to accept the CVV2 security code associated with credit cards. Your bank may be able to temporarily lift this requirement.

In Canada, all banks that I know will ask you for this 3 digits code

Just because of that it seems I can’t complete this tutorial :frowning:

Alex

After this: aws ec2 describe-instances I get this error:

An error occurred (UnauthorizedOperation) when calling the DescribeInstances operation: You are not authorized to perform this operation.

Hi Ray,

I am getting following error while checking ec2 instance,

An error occurred (OptInRequired) when calling the DescribeInstances operation: You are not subscribed to this service. Please go to http://aws.amazon.com to subscribe.

I followed all the steps and I am completely new to AWS server and what is that I need to specify in place of region name and output format while configuring aws.

Note that Perfect now charge for the AMI that you use on the EC2 instance. They don’t charge for t2.nano, but you can’t use a nano instance on the free tier. For the free tier, you need to use a t2.micro, which will get charges from Perfect which come out at around $0.72/month.