Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group
raywenderlich.com Forums

RWDevCon 2016 Session 105: Beginning Xcode Instruments

Have your users ever complained that your app is too slow or crashes all the time? Have you spent hours trying to track down a bug? In this session, you will learn how to use Xcode Instruments to perform analysis and diagnostics to pinpoint exactly where in your code the problem occurs. By incorporating Instruments into your development cycle, you will become a better developer.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/1301-rwdevcon-2016-session-105-beginning-xcode-instruments

Hi Vincent,

Great talk on Session 105, very useful for someone who’s getting started with instruments. I was watching this video and I had the same question that an attendee had in the end of demo 2, which is why the memory graph didn’t go down when you closed the view controller (after fixing the retain cycle). Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance

@alcorel, thanks a lot! One thing I regret not explaining well was that memory graph. So the reason why the memory graph didn’t go down when i closed the view controller was because, the graph that you see in the video represents the “total bytes” that was allocated. This means that it will not go down.

In order to see the graph go down in demo 2, you would need to look at the persistent bytes column. So search for “RWDirectory” and check the classes to show the graphs only for those. Now when you click on a tutorial team members card, and close it you can see the graph go up and down.

Hope this helps!