React Native Tutorial: Building Apps with JavaScript

Hey Tom great article! I think I might have found an issue regarding the order of the logging statements:

This is what I get:

SearchPage.render => (initial render)
search_page.js:23 onSearchTextChanged
search_page.js:25 london
search_page.js:29 SearchPage.render

So it looks like the render function isn’t called until onSearchTextChanged finishes. BTW, I’m running react-native 0.28.

2016-07-13 14:01:31.932 [warn][tid:main][RCTEventEmitter.m:52] Sending websocketFailed with no listeners registered.
2016-07-13 14:01:31.979 [info][tid:com.facebook.react.JavaScript] Running application “PropertyFinder” with appParams: {“rootTag”:1,“initialProps”:{}}. DEV === true, development-level warning are ON, performance optimizations are OFF
2016-07-13 14:01:31.995 [error][tid:com.facebook.react.JavaScript] PropertyFinderApp.render(): A valid React element (or null) must be returned. You may have returned undefined, an array or some other invalid object.
2016-07-13 14:01:31.997 [fatal][tid:com.facebook.react.RCTExceptionsManagerQueue] Unhandled JS Exception: PropertyFinderApp.render(): A valid React element (or null) must be returned. You may have returned undefined, an array or some other invalid object.

Why I run this code ,it has an error,where i am wrong ?Please Tell me,Thank you for that.

I can’t even get it to run at all totally broke now!

Hi jel111, could you show me any output error?

does anybody know how to enable Live Reload on device running REact Native App? I don’t have this item in “shake” dev menu

Find every where in ‘SearchResults.js’ where ‘guid’ is, then replace every single ‘guid’ with ‘thumb_url’ (without the single quotes)
Now it should work! :slight_smile:

Help me out guys,
I know a lot of things changed since this tutorial was written, Currently i am stuck with this Network Request Failed. Kindly guide me what i am doing wrong. I have tried to edit i
Info.plsit but nothing worked.
<key>NSAppTransportSecurity</key> <dict> <key>NSAllowsArbitraryLoads</key> <true/> <key>NSExceptionDomains</key> <dict> <key>localhost</key> <dict> <key>NSTemporaryExceptionAllowsInsecureHTTPLoads</key> <true/> </dict> </dict>
Thank you

@faisalmukhtarch
You need to add api.nestoria.co.uk to NSAppTransportSecurity in the plist.info file.
Before React 0.28 non-HTTPS traffic was always allowed. Now by default only HTTPS connections are allowed.

You find the plist.info file under ios → build → PropertyFinder.

It should look like that:

<key>NSAppTransportSecurity</key>
	<!--See http://ste.vn/2015/06/10/configuring-app-transport-security-ios-9-osx-10-11/ -->
	<dict>
		<key>NSExceptionDomains</key>
		<dict>
			<key>localhost</key>
			<dict>
				<key>NSTemporaryExceptionAllowsInsecureHTTPLoads</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>api.nestoria.co.uk</key>
			<dict>
				<key>NSTemporaryExceptionAllowsInsecureHTTPLoads</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</dict>

To be able to see the images in the ListView you need also include the following line under NSAppTransportSecurity

<key>imgs.nestimg.com</key> <dict> <key>NSTemporaryExceptionAllowsInsecureHTTPLoads</key> <true/> </dict>

Otherwise, you won’t be able to see the house image in the list

Just wanted to mention - “Narnia” will currently give you 20 results as well :slight_smile: You get a response code of “listings returned for best guess of ambiguous location”. Took me a few minutes to see if I was updating the query string properly

To get the “Location not recognized” message, use a location like “xxyyzz”; that worked for me (i.e.; giving me 0 results).

Hi everyone.

I’m sorry it’s taken my so long, but I’ve just updated the tutorial to the latest and greatest version of React Native, v34.

It should now run out of the box for everyone! :]

A massive thanks to everyone who chipped in to help others figure out the problems after the iOS and RN changes since April

Everything was going along just great until I reached the section regarding adding the domains to the plist. I am certain I have the entries correct, but the app does not respond after I hit “go”

Looking at the error in the console, I see the following:
TCP_CONNECTION_EVENT_DISCONNECTED in response to state failed and error Error Domain=kNWErrorDomainPOSIX Code=61 “Connection refused” UserInfo={NSDescription=Connection refused}

Any suggestions?

It turns out that a reboot was able to fix the issue.
However, I recently upgraded to Sierra and during the reboot, my screen went to black and my mac appeared to be shut down. I did a bit of searching for the fix and all is well now.

1 Like
React packager ready.

2016-10-28 01:22 node[12864] (FSEvents.framework) FSEventStreamStart: register_with_server: ERROR: f2d_register_rpc() => (null) (-22)
2016-10-28 01:22 node[12864] (FSEvents.framework) FSEventStreamStart: register_with_server: ERROR: f2d_register_rpc() => (null) (-22)
 ERROR  Error watching file for changes: EMFILE
{"code":"EMFILE","errno":"EMFILE","syscall":"Error watching file for changes:","filename":null}
Error: Error watching file for changes: EMFILE
    at exports._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)
    at FSEvent.FSWatcher._handle.onchange (fs.js:1406:11)

Hey guys, im following up to the first page rendering and the location button is not appearing! any idea why?

I fixed with this

<TouchableHighlight style={styles.button}
	      underlayColor='#99d9f4' onPress={this.onSearchPressed.bind(this)}>
	    <Text style={styles.buttonText}>Go</Text>
	  </TouchableHighlight>

</View>

<View style={styles.flowRight}>
	  <TouchableHighlight style={styles.button}
	      underlayColor='#99d9f4'>
	    <Text style={styles.buttonText}>Location</Text>
	  </TouchableHighlight>
	  </View>

Hi Everyone,
Please can anyone help me. I followed this tutorial up to second page i.e “Search result” page. But am developing application for android. when i click on the “Location” button again it will redirecting to the first page.

I couldn’t even get the ‘Hello World’ part to work, but instead got a red error screen in my simulator with an error element type is invalid message. After trying over and over to double check things, I eventually gave up. Since I cannot upload, I’ll paste here what I was using. I’m using Xcode Version 8.1 (8B62) on a MacBook Pro late 2015 running 10.12.1, and I had no trouble getting things setup with all the terminal commands, beforehand. Pitty.

‘use strict’;
var React = require(‘react’);
var ReactNative = require(‘react-native’);
var styles = ReactNative.StyleSheet.create({
text: {
color: ‘black’,
backgroundColor: ‘white’,
fontSize: 30,
margin: 80
}
});
class PropertyFinderApp extends React.Component {
render() {
return React.createElement(ReactNative.Text, {style: styles.text}, “Hello World!”);
}
}

ReactNative.AppRegistry.registerComponent(‘PropertyFinder’, function() { return
PropertyFinderApp });

Hi all!
I tried to run this application with:

• iOS 10.1 (14B72)
  • xcode 8.1
  • RN 0.34.1

and got this error rightaway (on a red screen in the emulator):

Unhandled JS Exception: Invariant Violation: Module name prefixes should’ve been stripped by the native side but wasn’t for RCTJSCExectuor

index.ios.bundle?platform
dev=true&minify=false:2138

Has anyone seen this before? Would appreciate any pointers as to what I am doing wrong.
Thanks

1 Like

Hi, I have the same error and I have no idea of what can I do to fix it.
If you find it, please let me know