Programming in Swift: Functions and Types · filter, reduce, & sort | raywenderlich.com

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/5429279-programming-in-swift-functions-and-types/lessons/17

FYI
The “More About Algorithms” links on this course are not working.

Great course anyway, Catie is great at explaining complex stuff.

1 Like

Hi! I fixed the links. Thanks for letting us know :]

Just an FYI. It’s really hard to learn this stuff if you don’t present the code in it’s “dry” version. I’m trying to wrap my mind around a concept, and then you say there’s an easier way. After being discouraged by the difficulty of trying to learn the hard way, I get even more confused because now I have to parse the difference between the easy way, and the hard way. By the time I’ve started doing that, you’ve moved on to a totally new screen. Pulling my hair out in this and Jessy’s course.

Always show the easy way first. Only after we fully understand the easy way, should you show us the harder way, preferably in a totally separate video, AFTER a review of the dry, easy way.

Could you please explain in the reduce example you multiply key by it’s value? But if we multiply 1.50 * 5 = 7.5 not 245.7 as in playground.

Hello Catie,

I am able to understand the closures but. I am unable to understand the filter, reduce , sort closures. map compact map flat map.

I am learning new to programming, I was able to understand all the core concept’s but expect properties and closures. Really getting frustrated. I have watched no of times repeatedly, Is it any other way’s to understand the concept. do you have any other books or reference regarding to understand the concepts

waiting for you revert