Passing over coreData Object to next controller

Hi

I have my tableView Controller where I have my CoreData objects. In my case I’ve managed to save my team using CoreData (Thanks @hollance).

The next part for me is being able to add players to this team, So I followed the same appraoch as done in earlier chapters but with arrays. So I have this in my TeamViewController

else if segue.identifier == "ViewPlayers" {
        if let navigationController = segue.destinationViewController as? UINavigationController {
            if let controller = navigationController.topViewController as? PlayerViewController {
                // add players from this team to table
                if let indexPath = tableView.indexPathForCell(sender as! UITableViewCell){
                    let currentTeam = teams[indexPath.row]
                    controller.team = currentTeam
                }
            }
        }
    } 

In My PlayerViewController I have:

class PlayerViewController: UITableViewController, PlayerDetailViewControllerDelegate {

var team = Team!

override func viewDidLoad() {
    super.viewDidLoad()
    self.tableView.rowHeight = 66.0
    // set navigation bar title
    if let currentTeam = team {
        title = currentTeam.name
    }
}

This is giving me errors that I don’t understand how to fix in this CoreData context though :frowning:

In TableViewController the error is: Cannot assign value of type 'Team' to type 'Team!.Type' (aka 'ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional<Team>.Type')

In the PlayerViewController it’s: Expected member name or constructor call after type name that’s for the line var team = Team!

and Initializer for conditional binding must have Optional type, not 'Team!.Type' (aka 'ImplicitlyUnwrappedOptional<Team>.Type')

that’s for if let currentTeam = team {...

I’m confused as to the problem here when using CoreData and not an array and how to fix it? Especially the first error

What did I do wrong?

With this line of code:
var team = Team!

The = tells Swift that you’re creating a variable called team and assigning an expression to that variable. Team! is not an expression, it’s a type.

Perhaps you mean var team : Team! ?

Thanks so much :slight_smile: @narrativium