Kodeco Forums

Make a VR Game With Unity and Google Cardboard

Google Cardboard is a new API for creating virtual reality games with a DIY headset. In this tutorial, you'll use it to kill blobs with throwing stars!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/1493-how-to-make-a-vr-game-with-unity-and-google-cardboard

Great article!! thank you very much for the effort :slight_smile: i donā€™t have Google Cardboard instead I own Gear VR. Is there any changes I need to consider in this case?

Hey, Fredyyy. My understanding is that theyā€™re basically different platforms for all intents and purposes. While a lot of the general concepts are the same, the libraries you use and the code will be different. I would probably look at Unityā€™s VR overview, which covers the Oculus and the Gear VR.

That said, I have no idea what will happen if you try to run a Cardboard game on a GearVR. If you try it, let me know what happens! :]

ok thank you I will check the link you provided!

I will check if I can run cardboard apps on the gear VR and Iā€™ll keep you posted! :]

Very cool ā€¦ Iā€™m interested in hearing the results!

Great tutorial @tkerpelman!
Really helped me to learn the basics of Unity+Cardboard VR.
Thanks again!

Thank you-- this really helped. Do you have any idea how to adjust render scale? My project comes out gritty on my phone, but is clear in the editor. Thanks!

Very very very much thanks to you!

It seems that Cardboard SDK for Unity page is not found, would you please update it? Thanks a lot!!!

Huh. It looks like after this yearā€™s I/O, they renamed the SDK from the ā€œCardboard SDKā€ to the ā€œGoogle VR SDKā€, which you can now find here: Downloads and samples Ā |Ā  Google VR Ā |Ā  Google Developers

It looks like the new SDK also includes support for making Daydream games, but only on Android. All the Cardboard stuff should still work, though, on both platforms.

Hmmā€¦It seems that the code no longer works after I/O. I am just wondering is it possible for you to update another tutorial that is up-to-date because it is really useful.

Working on an update now! Should be available in a day or two, depending on how long it takes for me to download the latest version of Unity. :]

That would be soooooo niceļ¼

Okay, tutorial has been updated. Please give it a look and let me know if there are any changes I missed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Google cardboard is a virtual reality on your smartphone. You can look inside to enter the world of Cardboard. There is an article in essay writing service about How to experience VR on your iPhone with Google Cardboard.

hey sir, thank you for this great tutorial but I wanted to take a look at how the final project ended up and I got those errors with system.diagnostics. Any suggestion on how to fix it?

by the way IĀ“m on a windows 7 machine.

I am also having trouble importing the Starter Project file since i am using Unity 5.3.4

Any workaround of this? I am afraid I canā€™t continue following your tutorial.

Muadzir, are you also on a Windows machine? What error message are you getting?

Iā€™ve been able to import the starter project with Unity 5.3.5. Perhaps try updating your version of Unity and see if that helps.

According to this report, it looks like youā€™ll get this error if your target is WebPlayer, which might be your default right now if youā€™re opening the project on a Windows machines. Open the Build Settings dialog and try setting it to Android (or iOS) and these issues should go away.

Thanks for this tutorial. It showed just how simple Google VR SDK is and it got me into trying it out.

However, I seem to have problem with UI.
No matter what I do, I canā€™t make it to show up in VR mode. I can see it in non-VR mode.

Setup is quite similar to yours. I have Canvas set to World Space, targeting Main Camera that is attached to GvrMain prefab > Head >

Do you have any idea why this might not be working maybe ?
Iā€™m testing it on Headset demo scene from the latest version of SDK :slight_smile: