Is SpriteKit alive still

Hello. I have been trying to find tutorials on the web for SpriteKit and it is very slim. So my question is whether SpriteKit is dead and something else is replacing it. If that’s the case, what’s the new thing
Thank you

1 Like

SpriteKit is definitely not dead and still supported by Apple. However it has been overshadowed by other technologies from Apple such as AR, Metal, etc. Additionally, it’s not portable to other platforms (unlike Unity). So you make only SpriteKit apps only for the Apple eco-system. For all the reasons mentioned prior, it falls back in popularity.

That said, it’s a fantastic platform that will get you going fast, especially with games and keeps getting better. Take a look at the following articles (the link takes you to search results):

https://www.raywenderlich.com/library?domain_ids[]=1&q=spritekit&sort_order=relevance

2 Likes

RW team star Tammy Coron has written a book on 2D games with SpriteKit. The final version is due out this month.

2 Likes

Some of Apple’s support for SpriteKit is spotty. Their scene editor had a major issue in Xcode 11. Didn’t get fixed until iOS 14 came out. ios - Does Xcode 11.2 scene editor allow adding components? - Stack Overflow

One advantage over Unity is you aren’t fighting bugs on two platforms. The assumption that if you can just get things working well on iOS with Unity you’ll get Android for free doesn’t really apply.

2 Likes

Final version came out a few days ago. Working my way through it. Very well written just like all the Ray Wenderlich books are. As Tammy is a team member it would be nice to add a link for her book to fill the void now there is no current offering from your book library…

1 Like

thanks Neil! I’ll pass this on to Ray and Matt.

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.