iOS Views and Animations: Learning by Stealing · In-Progress Spinner | raywenderlich.com

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/267496-ios-views-and-animations-learning-by-stealing/lessons/6

having a great time going through this tutorial. well done, Sam. I like the very focused, short tutorials, five or six sessions, where I can feel like I got through the whole thing and learned something. This time, I learned a way to use gradients I hadn’t thought of.

2 Likes

Hi @prenez01

I’m really glad you’re enjoying the course. A big part of why I wanted to do it was to demonstrate how to use some of the things we learnt in other courses in ways that weren’t immediately obvious, so it’s great to hear that you’ve discovered a new way to use gradients.

sam

Yes. I just went through the 2016 tutorial on PresentationView last night, and have also just worked through chapters 17-23 (mainly around UIViewPropertyAnimator) of the RW ios Animations book. (Not a total newbie, I read the Bunny Laden book and kicked off the journey about ten years ago). I’m writing an app now with a lot of animation and wanted to get my head into some of the new techniques, but am walking away impressed by how intricate the details are, and how much more useful it is just to have an example and use it. While I realize it’s our job to be masters of intricate details, the ones around animation seem particularly onerous and rely on having done it before, or seeing an example, rather than looking it up. It seems to me a catalog of techniques centered around specific visual effects would be far more useful. I know there are Awesome lists and such, but an official catalog could help professionalize the thing and get developers heads more into the swing of animation.

I made a graffle of the iOS Animations, the idea was to color code each mechanism throughout chapters 20-23 so as to be able to refer to it in the future. It’s rough, but it’s one way of trying to approach this.

Anyway, Sam, I hope you do more of this. When I taught Swift a few years ago, I walked away feeling that I hadn’t done my students much of a service. They didn’t need to know about details of Auto Layout or GCD as much as they needed to know how to make a cool app.

1 Like

Animations on iOS are quite a complex subject—certainly until you can get some kind of idea about how all the different parts interact with each other. Even then it’s still a challenge.

Glad you’re making headway with it—love the idea of making quickref sheets. It’s a great way to organise your thoughts, and you very quickly realise the areas that you don’t fully understand.

cheers

sam

I just found the codax-transform3d app on iPhone and iPad. It’s like QuartzCode in your pocket. Check it out. It needs an update but the developer did a beautiful job. I think it’s unique.

1 Like

@prenez01 Thank you for the heads up - much appreciated! :]

Thank you for good tutorial.
Do you have British Swift? :open_mouth: CGRect(centre:...

@zeydeniii my apologies—sometimes when I write code I get carried away and forget that I should be spelling things incorrectly. Look out for colour too!

sam

I’ve noticed this. But I can’t understand how you can useinit(centre with “centre” in CGRect initialiser.
Thank you for answer!

Ah—I see, sorry… That’s not a standard initialiser—somewhere in the project there’s an extension on CGRect to add that. I think there’s something similar on CGPoint too.

1 Like