iOS Development Guideline

Hi, guys I studied “iOS apprentice” book and did every four tutorials, but I think I don’t have enough dominance in topics, what should I do??
would you tell me where should i continue learning and what topics should i study?

Absolutely!

There are TONS of tutorials, videos, and experts here in the Ray Wenderlich community.

There’s also YouTube, Stack Overflow, Udemy, Coursera, bootcamps, personal coaching, and much more.

If you’re a beginner to Swift and iOS, I would suggest opening up a Playground in XCode, and following the Swift Tour (A Swift Tour — The Swift Programming Language (Swift 5.7))

That way you can get a feel for how the language flows.

From there, maybe go back to the iOS Apprentice tutorials, and if it still doesn’t feel like it’s making sense, let us know here. You can also start looking into Simple iOS tutorials and video series’ on YouTube and just following those one at at time.

If you want some practice App Ideas, I’ve created a list of apps you can code in a week here: www.mypersonalcompass.com/app-ideas

(Side note: If you ARE interested in personal iOS coaching, it’s a paid monthly service I provide, and you can learn more here: www.mypersonalcompass.com/ios You can get all of your iOS questions answered by a 7+ year veteran of iOS)

Although I suspect you’d be better off starting on your own. That way you not only build the self-confidence, but you also aren’t leaning on someone else the entire time. Anything that I would offer from a coaching standpoint would be to guide you in the right direction (like I am here)

1 Like

Hi @milad! That is awesome that you want to continue your iOS studies. I really recommend learning some more right here on the raywenderlich website. There are many many articles and videos about Swift, iOS, gaming, and more. If there is something you would like to focus on more like Swift as an example, then you could jump into Swift page within the Tutorials menu. There are also videos that you can watch as well.

Because you already went through the iOS Apprentice book, you may already have a foundation that has helped you with your learning. So with that I would also recommend creating your own app! It’s a great way to use those skills that you’ve learned and can be a fun challenge as you go along.

Happy coding!

Best,
Gina

hi guys , I think I act a little emotional because i couldn’t code last month for studying university final exams
Yes,I’ll continue learning iOS studies because because I’m very passionated about it.
Thank you for your attention :blush:

If you have not read Swift Apprentice yet, you should definiately concider getting that gem → Swift Apprentice. :+1:

These are my plans when I finish the book myself, take from this what you will.

I plan to redo the 4 apps without the text book, my method:

• Load up the final version of the first tutorial Bulls Eye in Simulator.
  • Build the interface to match that of the final (without the bells and whistles)
  • Create the ViewController files
  • Wire it up, test
  • Make a programming to-do list (like the one on page 29)
  • Write my code
  • Refer to the book whenever I’m stuck.

Rinse and repeat for the other 3.

I also plan to

• Take notes of areas where I was completely stuck, and focus on those.
  • Document how long it took me to complete each tutorial, and then compare it to the next go if I chose to do this whole process again.

My goal is to get stuck less frequently, resulting in a faster completion time - while mastering concepts along the way.

I may redo the tutorial right after I completed it (if I need to) before going onto the next…

Congrats on finishing iOS Apprentice!
Rebecca

1 Like
  1. 2D Apple Games by Tutorials. It is written like the Apprentice, taking you step by step through seven apps. Even if you aren’t that interested in doing animation, there is a lot more practice writing code, working with structures and class objects, and connecting things together. Plus it is fun.

2. Start messing around, tinkering with things, trying out new things. Add a new schedule view to the Checklists app, listing scheduled items from all the lists. Add a second line of text to the all-lists view, showing how many items in each list. Add an editable list of categories to Locations. Add a new visit date property to each location. Borrow code from the Checklists app and put it in Locations so you can set a reminder to visit a location.

1 Like

:wave: Hey Steve

My next 3 books I plan on reading: (:star::star: difficulty)

1. iOS 10 (have done a bit of it a while back)
  2. iOS 11 by Tutorials
  3. Core Data (got half way through Swift 2.3 version, wasn’t ready at the time)

I was thinking of reading iOS Animations by Tutorials (but am not sure) prior to getting into
2D Apple Games by Tutorials
3D Apple Games by Tutorials

Think it’s a good idea to read iOS Animations first? or follow 2D & 3D up with it?

And then tackle the :star::star::star: difficulty books… maybe in 2-3 months?
I’m really interested in the new ARKit by Tutorials!

This is brilliant!

Cheers!
Rebecca

iOS Animations is about things like animating the transition from one view to the next. You will do a bit of that in StoreSearch. It is not the same as using SpriteKit (2D Animations) or SceneKit (3D Animations), which are all about objects colliding with each other and continuous animation. The tutorial is also less about building apps, and more about adding transitions and other animations to a starter app. I liked 2D Animations because I was just pounding out more code and more apps and having fun with it.

iOS 11 and iOS Animations are both about learning iOS 11 as an OS, rather than learning Swift and how to design code. More like reference books, in a way.

Core Data is good, but the subject is storing and retrieving data, which is not exactly exciting. It is a task you want to be able to do, but in my opinion only because you have to, not because you want to. :slight_smile:

I do think getting brave and tinkering around on your own is crucial. You want to reach the point where if you have a good idea, you also feel like you know how to get that done. It takes a lot of practice to reach that point, so it’s good to get started on it. Even just changing little things can be satisfying.

:wave: Steve

Right, it sounds like I’d get more out of iOS Animations after having completed 2D & 3D books.
You’ve got me pumped for the 2D book!!

Yeah, iOS 10 & 11 will be a mixed bag of review/solidifying learned concepts and gaining new experiences for me.
15 chapters per book means 30 apps! :grin::+1:

I dig Core Data, I got through half the Core Data by Tutorials book and stopped at Chapter 6: Versioning and Migration, because the second half was too advanced for me at that time.
Basically I was able to go through the motions of setting up the stack and fetching etc, but lacked understanding.

Now It’s a win because having read at least half of it prior to iOS Apprentice’s introduction of NSManagedObjectContext, NSFetchRequest<>() etc, bettered my understanding of what was going on in the iOS Apprentice chapters & Core Data in general.

Also, to be fair, this time around I had Swift Apprentice under my belt, so I instantly identified the GenericType of NSFetchRequest and plenty more.

Revisiting Core Data by Tutorials and finishing it this time around will be awesome.

Couldn’t agree with you more! I’ve built a few apps for myself for gaming (mainly tableViews) utilizing what I learned, and found out really quickly that following a tutorial vs making it myself was a whole different ball game.
You revisit the tutorial searching for a code example of what you want to do, and end up learning/understanding that concept & others.
Things that you thought you understood, now are understood on a new and more advanced level. You can’t get that kind of understanding by merely reading/following along, you have to experience it yourself, and figure it out for yourself to truly learn/master it.

I agree, and practicing coding is so enjoyable, I feel like I’m playing.

Off Topic

You helped me in functional programming before → Chapter 19 pg 415 Functional Programming (Thanks again!)
Did you master FP as you went through these books? or did you have experience with other languages centred around Functional Programming?
And what book/concept are you currently studying if you don’t mind my asking. (I’d like to follow your general path :footprints: in hopes to become a better coder!)

I found this code you wrote to be beautiful!

Cheers!
Rebecca

I have done a lot of database work, where SQL statements are declarative, much like functional programming. I have also done some work in my day job with Linq on Windows. Swift is richer and more capable than either of those, though. I don’t feel like I have mastered it in Swift, I find I have to think about it a while before it comes to me. I would like it to be more automatic. One day…
I also really like enums with associated values, it is a great way to handle results and state and such. The thing I am trying to get a handle on at the moment is CloudKit, and how to use it with Core Data.

1 Like

Hi milad

I have 30 years of software development experience but when I switched over to IOS and app developments I still had to learn.

I used Udemy.com which has thousands of courses and many courses on IOS/xcode etc.

You register with Udemy, show an interest in a course but do not buy it yet as many courses are £200 but if you wait they will email you now and then and offer the courses for £10, you keep the course and have access to it for life.

But this raywenderlich website also has courses so have a look around.

This topic was automatically closed after 166 days. New replies are no longer allowed.