iOS Apprentice (StoreSearch) currency options

Hello,

I am building and running this App on my phone from Australia. When I test it the prices come up as USD instead of AUD. Shouldn’t it know what currency to use by default? or must I set up the locality manually?

Thank you.

Hello again,

I searched the iTunes Search API and found that I can search the iTunes store for a particular country simply by adding country=. So now I get results from the Australian iTunes store I guess.

However, wouldn’t it be nicer if there was a way that it knows what currency to use based on your location? I probably can try to find the users location first and then embed that in the search url. I just have a feeling there must be a smarter way to do this!!?

Thank you.

I don’t think using the currency based on location is really that useful since users are used to thinking in their own local currency. If I hop on a plane to Australia I might get confused if suddenly the prices I’m used to seeing in EUR suddenly become AUD. (Driving on the left is confusion enough already for my European brain! :smile:)

I believe a better solution is to use the user’s locale settings, which tells the app what the currency is that the user prefers. This is actually done a little later on in the tutorial. :wink:

1 Like