iOS 10, MapKit and MKDirectiions issue

The code below runs perfectly in xCode 7.3 and on iOS 9 devices. However, when run on an iOS 10 device, the MKDirections response will not display the route step instruction.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Run the same code in attached file in xCode 7.3 with an iOS 9 Simulator and see steps printing in console

2. Run the same code in attached file in xCode 7.3 with an iOS 10 device attached and see that the steps are NOT printing.

3. Run code in xCode 8.0 with iOS 10 Simulator device and see that the steps are NOT printing.

No error is displayed, only an empty string

I have submitted a bug report to Apple in Bug Reporter as it was being displayed in beta 2 and it has not been fixed in beta 3. This will break all apps using the instructions attribute. This includes an app I have on the App Store now. I have never submitted a bug report before, so I could have done something wrong. No response from Apple. I would be forever grateful if someone else could test and see if they get the same result.

import UIKit
import MapKit

class ViewController: UIViewController {

override func viewDidLoad() {
        super.viewDidLoad()
        let request = MKDirectionsRequest()
        request.source = MKMapItem(placemark: MKPlacemark(coordinate: CLLocationCoordinate2D(latitude: 49.3447999, longitude: -123.0828718), addressDictionary: nil))
        request.destination = MKMapItem(placemark: MKPlacemark(coordinate: CLLocationCoordinate2D(latitude: 49.3241914, longitude: -123.0794145), addressDictionary: nil))
        request.transportType = .Automobile

let directions = MKDirections(request: request)

directions.calculateDirectionsWithCompletionHandler {response, error in
            guard let unwrappedResponse = response else { return }

for route in unwrappedResponse.routes {
                for step in route.steps {
                    print("Instruction: \(step.instructions)")
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

cretech, I signed up just to say that I am in the same boat as you. I see the same bug and I have an app in the App Store that is bound to break when iOS 10 is officially released.

The only difference is I saw several error messages in my console. I have yet to make sense of them.

Have you received any feedback and/or know of any solution for the behavior?

No. I have submitted a bug report (I think), but have had no response. It is still sitting in Apple’s Bug Reporter (#27251771) and is still open with a rank of “No Value” I need others to submit a bug report as well.
I am frankly surprised that many others have not noticed this and reported too.

I have submitted a bug report too. And I see a flag indicating my report is a duplicate of yours. Does that mean only the two of us have reported so far? As you said, strange that others have not seen this behavior.

Good question. I am bothered by the lack of any response to my bug.

The issue has been resolved in iOS 10 beta 4

Yeap, just tested it and came here to post the same. Glad it has been resolved.