Kodeco Forums

Introduction to the New Unity 2D Tilemap System

The introduction of Unity’s 2D Tilemap System creates a great opportunity for aspiring indie developers and game studios around the world to save time prototyping and building out quality 2D games. Without this system, you could spend days, possibly even weeks, programming your own tilemap system or customizing someone else’s to work for you. And […]

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/23-introduction-to-the-new-unity-2d-tilemap-system

when you drag the sprites from a sprite sheet, they get all rearranged
to fix this: drag the parent sheet to pallete. instead of dragging all child sprites
then the pallete layout will match the sheet layout

thanks

1 Like

if you redo it and it asks to overwrite tiles just click Reuse and not lose anything
2018-04-28

1 Like

Hey @rakkarage

Thanks for pointing this handy tip out. This is great! Also super useful to know that you can opt to reuse the existing tiles and just have it rearrange everything.

Cheers
Sean

Any chance you can add an extra tutorial on 2.5D tilemaps?

@shogan Do you have any feedback regarding this? Thank you - much appreciated! :]

Hey @shadowsedge19

At the moment we don’t have anything imminent planned for a 2.5D tilemap tutorial. I will however raise this as a request with my fellow Unity team members :]

It’ll get added to our ideas board and will have to pass a vote / popularity vote first though, so no promises I’m afraid!

Cheers
Sean

Hi, i have some problems when i want to apply a tilemapCollider in my tileMap when i have transparences. In this case, my collider considers alpha-channel. See the image below…

I need help to solve this problem.

Hey @philipperocha

This is indeed possible. You just need to use the Sprite Editor for the main tilemap spritesheet, locate the tile that you want a custom shape collider for, and then edit it in.

Check out these screenshots I did that illustrate the process for a sample tile…

Select the sprite editor and then choose a tile to edit. Click the dropdown and choose “Custom Physics Shape”

On the tile you have selected you’ll see a small white outline appear. Click and drag nodes on it around to define your shape then click Apply when you’re done.

Paint the tile down using your brush tool on a layer that has the Composite 2D collider and Tilemap collider 2D components on it (as per the tutorial setup for collideable tiles) and you’ll see your custom physics shape take affect for all tiles painted with that pallette tile item.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Hi @shogan,

Thank you so much…your explanation helped me a lot !!!

Regards

1 Like

The camera stops following the player if you move too far vertically up or down. What do you change to have the camera not stop following?

Hi Nick

Did you have a look for a boundary script? I seem to recall possibly adding one that constrains the camera to a certain boundary.

Check the camera GameObject for the script as well as the other GameObjects on the Hierarchy.

You can simply disable it.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. Thank you!