Kodeco Forums

Introduction to Android Activities with Kotlin

Learn about one of the most important concepts within Android apps with this introduction to Android activities tutorial, using Kotlin!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/500-introduction-to-android-activities-with-kotlin

I have downloaded the starter project but it won’t run on my mac. It comes up with the following error:

Error:(7, 0) Gradle DSL method not found: ‘google()’
Possible causes:

Hi dlwanst. What version of Android Studio are you using? Also, when opening the project, did you receive any prompts to update gradle or the gradle plugin?

Android 2.3.3

regarding updates - not that I recall.

i was able to download and run omg-android-starter ok

Thanks dlwanst! The starter project requires Android Studio 3.0 Canary 5 or later. Android Studio 3.0 should be going stable soon. You can download the latest Android Studio 3.0 preview from here:

The preview version can be installed alongside the latest stable release. Just be sure to rename one of them first or put them in different folders in your Mac.

I have exact same error. Gradle DSL method not found: ‘google()’

Using Mac
Android Studio 3.0 Beta 3
Build #AI-171.4294784, built on August 23, 2017
JRE: 1.8.0_152-release-915-b01 x86_64
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
Mac OS X 10.12.6

sorry disregard previous. I figured out kotlin wasn’t running because it wasn’t in tools menu.

I restarted android studio 3 and kotlin showed up again.

Android Studio didn’t like the task clean(type:Delete).
Error:(31, 0) Declaring custom ‘clean’ task when using the standard Gradle lifecycle plugins is not allowed.

If you comment it out the next build error is compileSdkVersion not specified.

Gradle ‘ForgetMeNot-starter’ project refresh failed
Error:Cause: compileSdkVersion is not specified.

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]