Kodeco Forums

iBeacons Tutorial with iOS and Swift

Learn how to track your valuables in this iBeacons tutorial, where you'll build an app to register beacons then get notified when they move out of range.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/1722-ibeacons-tutorial-with-ios-and-swift

Good day. I would like to ask on how do you open a new view when the application comes in range of the beacon. Thank you.

This app does not work in xcode 7.3. Even after fixing the mistakes in the code, it just crashes.

Good Job, Thanks! Please update to iOS 10, Swift 3 and Xcode 8.1

Thank! But can you please update it for iOS10, Swift 3 ??

Did you figure out how to make a new view open when it enters a beacon region. i am trying to do the same thing. I want to run the beacon ranging in the app delegate so that it monitors in every view in the app.

Will this be updated for iOS 10 and Swift 3?

Hey @magonicolas and @thebelg.
I do believe that there is an update for this tutorial to Xcode 8, iOS 10 and Swift 3 in the works - watch this space!

I am waiting for your update. Thank you so much!

Hi there - one quick question.
I have to admit, that I haven’t tried myself yet - but…

Is it possible to have the same app act as an iBeacon while working like the ForgetMeNot app?
I need to have my app broadcast like an iBeacon and discover other devices running the same app.

And just one more thing - I need it all to work while all devices are locked (app in the background).
That is - while waling with the phone/device in their pockets people need to be notified of the pretense of other people (who is running my app)…makes sense? ;o)

Have a great day!

Hi there,

I have a question and i hope that you can help.

we are using an app that scans for ibeacon advertisement and once it detects it the ibeacon protocol in the iOS devices enforcing the app to wait about 40 seconds in order to start detecting the second advertisement .
Is there any way to decrease/increase the waiting time ?

Best Regards,

@xuhelios There is now an updated version of this tutorial here: https://www.raywenderlich.com/152330/ibeacon-tutorial-ios-swift