Kodeco Forums

How To Make an App Like Runkeeper: Part 2

This is the second and final part of a tutorial that teaches you how to create an app like Runkeeper, complete with color-coded maps and badges!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/552-how-to-make-an-app-like-runkeeper-part-2

Awesome tutorial. Many thanks!
Is this the last part of tutorial?

Thanks for your kind words!

Yes, there are just 2 parts.

Hi,

I just compiled part 1 and took it for a long walk.

It seems like location updates, and timers stop working after a while. A little bit of googling seems to agree with me.

I found the “locationManager.requestAlwaysAuthorization()” out there along with “NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription” which I think will take care of the location updates (I’ll take it for a long walk later. My feet are still sore from yesterday).

Any preferred methods of keeping the one second timer going even when the phone goes to lock screen ? I’ve read that no timers survive more than 10 minutes regardless of background modes.

So do I need to store the start time (e.g user default) and perhaps restart in app delegate if I find an entry (or maybe even store run state; stopped, running, paused etc) ?

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]