Kodeco Forums

How To Make a Letter / Word Game with UIKit: Part 1/3

This 3-part tutorial series will guide you through the process of building a board game for the iPad, where you create words with letters. You'll also learn about best practices for creating solid, modular iOS apps. And as a bonus, you'll get a crash course in audio-visual effects with UIKit!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/2749-how-to-make-a-letter-word-game-with-uikit-part-1-3

There’s a little problem in the config.h file.
There’s no need to swap the dimensions of the screen cuz the storyboard has already in Landscape mode.

Great tutorial!

Noticed a bug. While this code may have worked at the time, if the app is locked in landscape mode, then kScreenHeight is actually going to be the width of the screen. I tried the code as written and nothing was displayed. After about an hour of trying to figure out what was wrong, I realized that kScreenHeight needs to be swapped with in kScreenWidth, and vis versa in the GameController.m file.
Now the tiles are displayed as in your picture.

Perhaps I altered something somewhere that made my app different. Or perhaps something has changed in recent versions of iOS. I have no idea.

Best,

Alex

Hey Alex, great discovery :slight_smile: I don’t think the tutorial code should cover this kind of edge cases - its goal is to introduce you to some basic game techniques when using UIKit like sound, particles, and visual effects. Beyond these it’s up to you to make it a production-ready application

This tutorial is more than six months old so questions are no longer supported at the moment for it. We will update it as soon as possible. Thank you! :]