How do I get started creating an app?

Hi everyone,

I’m sure we’re all tired of seeing these types of questions but please bear with me on this one.

I am very interested in developing apps but I am not sure where to start. I will present you guys a list of some of my skills and goals and perhaps someone can help me out from there.

Skills:
Took C++ and Java code clases (never did too well in them though)
Willing to learn and not give up
Ready for the challenge

Goals:
The goal is to eventually create an app like FaceBook, Tinder, Instagram, etc.
Obviously I do not intend to fully copy these apps, just use them as templates for my other ideas.
Create the app for iPhone first, then possibly Android

Where can I get started? What books can I start reading? I already have access to Xcode but I’m not sure where to go from there.

Thank you very much for all the help!

Well, you’re posting on the help forums for a tutorial site. If you select the Tutorials tab at the top of the webpage, you’ll see options for iOS (the iPhone operating system) and for Android. Selecting either will lead you to a list of tutorials to get you started.

If you already know some Java then it might be easier for you to start with Android tutorials, but if you want a fresh start then consider the Swift tutorials (if you’ve downloaded Xcode, then iOS and Swift is probably the better bet). If the tutorials on this site aren’t enough, there’s also a range of books on the Store page.

Just generally, I’d just advise you to watch your ambitions. Everyone wants to make a massively successful app like the ones you’ve listed, but those apps in particular are also developed by large teams with a lot of web-server support. By all means aim high, but it can take a while to learn the skills involved, and it can be discouraging if you don’t feel you’re making enough progress. Set yourself some smaller goals as well so you can maintain a sense of achievement.
And beyond that, good luck.