Flutter experience of an iOS developer

I’m in the process of deciding if Flutter is the right tool to switch over to.

In my professional job I’ve created multiple cross-platform apps using Xamarin. I don’t want to use Xamarin ever again. It’s bad.

I now want to create personal (non professional) apps. As an Apple user I first thought that only using Apple’s tools is the best way in doing so.

But as my apps might also attract users from the dark side (Android) and having the ability to even create desktop/web apps as a bonus, I’m now in doubt.

Flutter seems attractive, but I want to be sure that it’s a good choice. The iOS versions should look and feel as closely as possible as native iOS apps. I known it will never be 100% the same.

What I’m looking for are stories of iOS developers who’ve made the transition. I would love to hear their experience.

Since your needs are not specifically mentioned (other than cross-platform support), it’s hard to tell if Flutter may be what you are looking for. Will it require other dependencies? Etc.

However, from a generic point of view, I’ll say this:

I have yet to hear a Flutter developer not use the word fun when developing. I think you will like it as well. Since you have used Xamarin (and yes, Forms is not a great experience), I’ll assume you are comfortable in C#, Dart is similar and will feel fairly comfortable to understand. Take a few days to setup the environment and go through some tutorials, you will be pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

I guess I could of asked outside of your question, it’s just I’m new to IOS and Android development and new to Kodeco… I too used Xamarin but way back in 2013 so I just have not heard of Flutter as I have not coded since 2016 and it was C#/ .Net

I meant no harm

Ok, no problem.

I would advice to go with Flutter then. I’ve also used Xamarin for years, but now I will not use it anymore. Too much bugs.

With Flutter you’ll have far less problems, but it’s a whole different way of programming, so it will take time to get used to that.

The official documentation of Flutter (at www.flutter.dev) is excellent, but if you prefer a video course to start with then I highly recommend this course:

The Complete Flutter Development Bootcamp with Dart | Udemy

It’s a bit outdated at several places, but the teacher is excellent.

Thank you sir! I appreciate the guidance :slight_smile: