Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group

Firebase Tutorial for Flutter: Getting Started | raywenderlich.com

In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to use Firebase Firestore databases in Flutter by creating a fun app that will help you take care of your pets.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/7426050-firebase-tutorial-for-flutter-getting-started

Don’t we need to add cloud_firestore: ^0.13.4+2 to flutter dependencies?

There is a section of the article that states:
" In Android Studio open pubspec.yaml and add cloud_firestore: ^0.13.0+1 after flutter_form_builder: ^3.7.2 . Then click Packages get to add the firestore library."

Trying to build after the step Add DataRepository to Main always gave me the same error. I tried to take the finished the project and set it up as well and it still failed. It seemed to be an issue with pods but I could never track down a solution.

Ever run into this?

Thanks for finding this. It took me awhile to figure it out. Turns out that the flutter_form_builder library depended on the flutter_chips_input library which had the problem. I updated the flutter_form_builder library to the latest version and the problem went away. Luckily Android Studio will let you know if the versions can be updated. I have:

flutter_form_builder: ^3.11.5
cloud_firestore: ^0.13.7

** UPDATE: After a day of playing with this I found a fix within 10 minutes of this post!

Problem with flutter_form_builder version. Set to this version. Worked for me with code from the download.

flutter_form_builder: ^3.14.0-alpha.2

*** End Update ***

First let me say this tutorial has the best look/feel of any tutorial I’ve followed (both free and paid)! The work you put into this project shows. Unfortunately I have a similar issues posted above by colesluggett. From the start after downloading and PubGet the app errors. I have updated the form builder as Kevin suggested and further updated to latest available. I cleaned, doctored, removed Podfile.lock and had it rebuild. Continues to error out
– event sent after app closed: {id: 0, progressId: null, message: Running “flutter pub get” in begin…}
event sent after app closed: {id: 0, progressId: null, finished: true}
Launching lib/main.dart on iPhone 11 Pro Max in debug mode…
Running pod install…
Warning: Podfile is out of date
This can cause issues if your application depends on plugins that do not support iOS.
See https://flutter.dev/docs/development/packages-and-plugins/developing-packages#plugin-platforms for details.
If you have local Podfile edits you would like to keep, see https://github.com/flutter/flutter/issues/45197 for instructions.
To regenerate the Podfile, run:
rm ios/Podfile

Running Xcode build…
Xcode build done. 152.9s
Failed to build iOS app
Error output from Xcode build:

** BUILD FAILED **

Xcode’s output:

…/…/…/…/…/…/.pub-cache/hosted/pub.dartlang.org/flutter_form_builder-3.13.5/lib/src/fields/form_builder_range_slider.dart:21:9: Error: Type ‘RangeSemanticFormatterCallback’ not found.
final RangeSemanticFormatterCallback semanticFormatterCallback;
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
…/…/…/…/…/…/.pub-cache/hosted/pub.dartlang.org/flutter_form_builder-3.13.5/lib/src/fields/form_builder_range_slider.dart:21:9: Error: ‘RangeSemanticFormatterCallback’ isn’t a type.
final RangeSemanticFormatterCallback semanticFormatterCallback;
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code
note: Using new build system
note: Building targets in parallel
note: Planning build
note: Constructing build description

Could not build the application for the simulator.
Error launching application on iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I have found that running flutter clean can help too

Hi, great tutorial.
Any possibility to update or create more tutorials like this about firebase?
I saw many changes in firebase documentation, if I want to use the new version, still exist Document Reference in the code or change?

Your tutorial is great.

I believe I ran into 2 minor problems, unrelated to Firebase.

Problem 1: If you don’t change the pet name or note fields from their previous values, they are over-written with null on “Update”. (Just initialize them in initState())
Problem 2: Adding even one prescription gets you “BOTTOM OVERFLOWED BY X PIXELS”. Just add a SingleChildScrollView.

class _PetDetailFormState extends State {
final DataRepository repository = DataRepository();
final _formKey = GlobalKey();
final dateFormat = DateFormat(‘yyyy-MM-dd’);
String name;
String type;
String notes;

@override
void initState() {
// TODO set type to pet type

name = widget.pet.name;
type = widget.pet.type;
notes = widget.pet.notes;

super.initState();
}

@override
Widget build(BuildContext context) {
return Container(
padding: EdgeInsets.symmetric(vertical: 8.0, horizontal: 16.0),
child: FormBuilder(
key: _formKey,
autovalidateMode: AutovalidateMode.always,
// autovalidate: true,
child: SingleChildScrollView(
padding: EdgeInsets.only(bottom: 15),
child: Column(

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Now that I see those changes, they make total sense.