Firebase Cloud Messaging for Android: Sending Push Notifications | raywenderlich.com

In this Firebase Cloud Messaging tutorial, you will learn how to add push notifications to Drink-It, an app that reminds you to drink water through the day.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.raywenderlich.com/9227276-firebase-cloud-messaging-for-android-sending-push-notifications

Its very clean artical…can you help me to understand how to set badge count when we receive push notification in Android…?

I’m using kotlin here…

Hi, @praghupa I’m glad you liked the tutorial! From Android API level 26 and onwards (android 8.0), apps will show notification dots without the need of adding any functionality. If you long-tap on an icon that has a notification dot you will see how many notifications you have, there is also no need to add code. Unlike iOS, you can’t display the number of notifications directly in the dot.

Here is the Android official documentation if you want to read more on the topic: