Error when compiling Textures for macOS

I get “Command CompileAssetCatalog failed with a nonzero exit code” when trying to compile for macOS. Everything is fine for iOS. I have tried cleaning the build, removing and reimporting the textures, and even rebooting (for good measure).

Issuing the offending command on the command line, I get:

Assertion failed: (maxCountIncludingZeroTerminator > 0 && tokenCount < maxCountIncludingZeroTerminator), function CUIRenditionKeyCopy, file /AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/CoreUI/CoreUI-609.4/CoreTheme/ThemeStorage/CUIThemeRendition_Support.m, line 849

Any suggestions?

Ugh… replying to myself. It appears that changing the Texture Set Interpretation to Data from Colors causes this error. I guess this is Apple’s problem then, right?

@ericmock - try compiling and running the sample project in final. Mine works OK on either GPU.

I wonder if you could zip up your project and post it here so that I can take a look at it, please?

Also, please post your hardware specs, in case that has something to do with it.

This issue is not dependent on the project. I have to make the change from Data to Color in all projects. I suspect it has to do with my hardware:

Yes, you are probably right. Nvidia doesn’t provide a driver for Mojave or Catalina.

You should be able to get around this one by loading up the textures outside of the asset catalogue with Texturable’s loadTexture(). You might also find a couple of glitches later on in the book.

Figured… I wish Apple and NVIDIA would make nice.

There were some issues with the tessellation stuff. I’m guessing compute kernels are no good on NVIDIA cards.

I think I remember some issues with threads when you’re setting up the compute shader, yes. Unfortunately my NVIDIA MacBook Pro appears to have died this morning, so I can’t check it.

Too bad you can’t swap your new MBP keyboard with that old one.

I actually like the new Touch Bar and fingerprint, and I use an external keyboard and monitor most of the time anyway :slight_smile:

This one looks fun, I am running into it too on default hardware:

Started a discussion on apple forums
https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/411678#411678

Updating: Change discussion here:
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/130619

Another update: change the Target from 10.15 to 10.14 fixes this issue but that is really not acceptable. I opened an issue with Apple #FB7647328

I would encourage other people who have this issue to do the same using Feedback Assistant so we can get it fixed.

1 Like

If you take the textures out of the asset catalog and just have them in a folder, and change the .mtl files so that the maps have .png on the end, then that will work too.

Pity. I like asset catalogs.

I opened a ‘code level support’ ticket with Apple, I am hoping to find some magic here. Asset Catalogs should not have broken in 10.15. I imagine they have them patched in next beta.

I’m doing the same. Using 10.14 isn’t really future-proof :slight_smile:

Great! The race to the solution begins!

1 Like

I’m seeing this issue as well on a 2018 MBP on macOS 10.15.4 (19E287). It did however work a couple of days ago so I suspect a recent OS update or something.

1 Like

@a2l out of curiosity, did you update your Xcode recently?

Looking in the update history I haven’t updated Xcode since I got this issue, there is however, two Mac OS 10.15.4 updates - the last one being a supplemental one. Apparently the latest OS updates have caused a lot of problems for people (Nasty macOS flaw is bricking MacBooks: Don't install this update | Hacker News).

Hey all, just wanted to report that I recently got the update to Xcode which v11.4.1. It appears that whatever was causing the Asset Catalogs to error was mended.

Can anyone else confirm that that working with 10.15 and Xcode 11.4.1?

EDIT:
Once installed be sure to delete the files/folders in the following folders and restart Xcode:

~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/

And potentially:

~/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS DeviceSupport/