Errata for Flutter Apprentice 2nd Edition

On chapter 7 and 8, the Navigator 2.0 diagram has the block of RouteInformationProvider repeated.

1 Like

@alexg011 thank you! This is a good catch. We will get this fixed as soon as possible!

The correct diagram should be

RouteInformationProvider → RouteInformationParser

RouteInformationProvider provides the route information, and passes it to the RouteInformationParser to extract user-defined data type, query parameters etc.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 1.50.13 PM

1 Like

errata typo, won’d → won’t within https://www.raywenderlich.com/books/flutter-apprentice/v2.0/chapters/2-hello-flutter

In this specific case you won’d notice any change in the UI.

1 Like

Typo in State Object Lifecycle diagram: image

2 Likes

Thank you @mattbh we will get this fixed soon!

Hey,
I think I’ve found that you missed a Row() in a Code Snippet.
In chapter 6.12 Finishing GroceryTile → Adding the first row
In this snippet theres no Row(children[]) around everything so the GroceryTile is not shown correctly.

3 Likes

@awl thank you this is a really good catch, will get this fixed in the next batch.

1 Like

@awl thanks for spotting this!

Note to team. Same issue reported here Errata for Flutter Apprentice 2nd Edition - #14 by awl

1 Like

Hey again :wave:
In chapter 7.10 there is a point which could lead to confusion.
Managing your app state → Initializing the app → Point 7.
" 7. Sets a delayed timer for 2,000 milliseconds before executing the closure. This sets how long the app screen will display after the user starts the app."
I think with app screen is ment app splash screen. Not that crucial but I thought I’d report it neverthless.

PS: I really enjoy reading this book and programming along! I’m pretty new to Flutter and I learned much about it. Props to the authors! :fire:

2 Likes

Thanks @awl we will keep this in mind for our following update :slight_smile:

Chapter 4, Examining the widget tree

Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 11.28.05

1 Like

Thanks @i3games for catching this! We will fix this in a following update!

1 Like

In chapter 1, getting started, the following sentence is a bit misleading:

Most importantly, Google built the Dart VM into the Chrome browser, allowing web apps written in Dart to run at native speeds.

While it is true that Google built a version of Chrome called “Dartium” that contained the dart vm, the Chrome browser itself never included a dart vm. Dartium was only meant for development and was deprecated with the release of dart 2.

1 Like

3.3 Setting a theme

It’s already included pubspec.yaml

Missing “in” for your intended meaning:
It’s already included in pubspec.yaml

1 Like

In 3.3 Setting a theme you treat “declares” and “defines” as synonyms. I highlighted them in bold here:

This code does the following:

1. Declares a TextTheme called lightTextTheme, which uses the Google font Open Sans and has a predefined font size and weight. Most importantly, the color of the text is black.

2. Then it defines darkTextTheme. In this case, the text is white.

3. Next, it defines a static method, light, which returns the color tones for a light theme using the lightTextTheme you created in step 1.

4. Finally, it declares a static method, dark, which returns the color tones for a dark theme using the darkTextTheme you created in step 2.

That’s fine for casual conversations, but please consider that these two words have specific and precise meanings in C, and most certainly they are not synonyms of each other in C. A book on any computer language should use these kinds of keywords with great care.

I’m sure you’ll be able to find a useful synonym for your intended use that doesn’t have the keyword baggage that these two have.

I’ll leave that choice as an exercise for the writer :wink:

You use these terms throughout the book, so this is quite a challenge.

One elegant possibility would be to use only “define” (as in an axiomatic mathematical system) and to avoid using “declare”.

1 Like

legit way of explaining with diagram

1 Like

As already reported in 2020, the divisions property of the Slider widget in Chapter 2.5 should be 9 instead of 10.

The symptom is that the middle tick can’t be selected, because it belongs to 5.5, which is rounded to 6, but when we set the slider’s value to 6, it’s closest to the next tick at 6.4.

@nflnfl thanks we will log this issue, evaluate, and fix the issue in the next update.

Uploading: IMG_20211017_201657_596.jpg…
Please i need help, my images aren’t uploading and my asset folder is in the same path with other folders

@iphie_flutter can’t see your image, can you please reupload?