Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group

Errata for Flutter Apprentice 2nd Edition

Creating this topic to catch any typos and bugs in the 2nd Edition of Flutter Apprentice.

7 Likes

Since you asked for typos as well: “Building an app for you[missing: “r”] own devices is great; sharing your app with the world is even better!” @ vi.introduction

@ddkrueger Thanks! We’ll fix in the next release.

hello. in chapter 3, Basic Widgets, you’re supposed to enter this line:

final theme = FooderlichTheme.dark();

and use the theme variable to set the text styles for the appbar and body text. However, i get an error then and am unable to build. The compiler gives the error as “Invalid constant value”. see screenshot below:

this was using Flutter 2.5.2 stable

1 Like

Hi @dee_odee you have to remove const from your text widget, it should look something like this:

Scaffold(
        appBar: AppBar(
          title: Text('Fooderlich',
                      // 4
                      style: theme.textTheme.headline6,
                     ),
        ),

You can’t use const in this case because the style/theme could potentially change.

Similarly remove const from the Center widget for the same reason.

2 Likes

thanks, that was it.

On chapter 7 and 8, the Navigator 2.0 diagram has the block of RouteInformationProvider repeated.

1 Like

@alexg011 thank you! This is a good catch. We will get this fixed as soon as possible!

The correct diagram should be

RouteInformationProvider → RouteInformationParser

RouteInformationProvider provides the route information, and passes it to the RouteInformationParser to extract user-defined data type, query parameters etc.

1 Like

errata typo, won’d → won’t within Flutter Apprentice, Chapter 2: Hello, Flutter | raywenderlich.com

In this specific case you won’d notice any change in the UI.

1 Like

Typo in State Object Lifecycle diagram:

1 Like

Thank you @mattbh we will get this fixed soon!

Hey,
I think I’ve found that you missed a Row() in a Code Snippet.
In chapter 6.12 Finishing GroceryTile → Adding the first row
In this snippet theres no Row(children[]) around everything so the GroceryTile is not shown correctly.

1 Like

@awl thank you this is a really good catch, will get this fixed in the next batch.

1 Like

@awl thanks for spotting this!

Note to team. Same issue reported here Errata for Flutter Apprentice 2nd Edition - #14 by awl

1 Like

Hey again :wave:
In chapter 7.10 there is a point which could lead to confusion.
Managing your app state → Initializing the app → Point 7.
" 7. Sets a delayed timer for 2,000 milliseconds before executing the closure. This sets how long the app screen will display after the user starts the app."
I think with app screen is ment app splash screen. Not that crucial but I thought I’d report it neverthless.

PS: I really enjoy reading this book and programming along! I’m pretty new to Flutter and I learned much about it. Props to the authors! :fire:

1 Like

Thanks @awl we will keep this in mind for our following update :slight_smile:

Chapter 4, Examining the widget tree

1 Like

Thanks @i3games for catching this! We will fix this in a following update!

1 Like

In chapter 1, getting started, the following sentence is a bit misleading:

Most importantly, Google built the Dart VM into the Chrome browser, allowing web apps written in Dart to run at native speeds.

While it is true that Google built a version of Chrome called “Dartium” that contained the dart vm, the Chrome browser itself never included a dart vm. Dartium was only meant for development and was deprecated with the release of dart 2.