Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group Group

Errata for Android Apprentice 4th Edition

Creating this topic to catch any typos and bugs in the 4th Edition of Android Apprentice.

Hello,

I wasn’t able to compile any of the sample code in 8. SharedPreferences & ViewModels, Section “Adding a Dialog” without doing additional steps such as importing various missing references:

import android.text.InputType
import android.widget.EditText
import androidx.appcompat.app.AlertDialog
import com.raywenderlich.listmaker.databinding.MainActivityBinding

Not sure if that was intended or not but thought I’d mention it.

Hi cpg6b,

Thank you for letting us know about this. I downloaded the final project for chapter 8 and can compile the app with no issue.

I was wondering if you could be more specific about the issue. Was it following along with the chapter, or something else?

Thanks for your response @daemonic_daz. I didn’t have a chance yet to try the downloadable sample — instead I was just following along in the chapter with adding the sample code as instructed line by line from the very beginning. Sorry for not being more clear about that.

If you start the Chapter from the beginning as a fresh project and then add or replace the lines of code as instructed, I think you’ll probably find that there might be an instruction missing along the way somewhere about adding the import statements as needed for those various objects.

If you need any more information, please let me.

Thanks!

Sorry forgot to remind you that it’s specifically the code in the “Adding a Dialog Part”